Rum Review: Appleton V/X Rum

The second standard reference style: aromatic, robust and full flavored - it's absolutely dunderful. To our ships at sea! May they sink very slowly!

How do you rate Appleton V/X Rum (five is best)?

No votes
55%
45%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Appleton V/X Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Appleton V/X Rum: "Sipping Quality at a Mixer Price"

Back when I was exploring the reference standards for rum I picked up a bottle of Appleton Extra (representing the Jamaican aromatic style). It was heavenly. There were times I felt I could simply nose it all evening. It was that nice. Later, I heard tell that the V/X was a worthy younger sibling - Dave Broom rates it four stars (of five) and calls it one of the few versatile (mixer or sipper) rums. And for just $16 was certainly worth a try. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
All but the lowest priced Appletons come in sensual female bottles - shorter, full, voluptuous and with a smooth pinched waist. That, plus a handsome traditional label and I'm hooked. Put it on the shelf! Jim and I had already tasted and loved the Extra (rated 8 ). V/X's aroma is very pleasant: vanilla, some light citrus (orange), a bit of clove spice and last, a background of oak and what I call a furniture polish. Nice.

Its taste is light and smooth, becoming clovey and astringent at the end before a memorable exploding peppery clove finish. Remarkable! V/X leaves a light cigar box aftertaste. I can see V/X as a solid, "rummy" mixer that will benefit any drink with its Jamaican punch. That it is a nice sipper as well is a pleasant bonus.
Me:

I was not disappointed by Appleton V/X. Unlike the "Reserve" and "Extra", its color is yellow gold, with small pearl legs. On first nosing I experienced a slight nasal prickle (not really a bad thing), with light oak, spicy clove and a what I call a medium fruit (not high citrus, not deep dark raisin/prune). More like in the orange/apricot range. Oh, and on a nice leather background. V/X is smooth and tastes of oak, pepper and cloves. The end palate is astringent. The medium finish comes on nicely, a light peppery transition to a cigar box aftertaste. This is a fine rum.

There's an unfair and egoistic tendency to lump all lower priced rums as "mixers", even those that do not deserve this label. V/X is one of them and is really a nice younger rum more than worthy of sipping, yet inexpensive enough to also use as a mixer. You should own this.

Score (10 is best): 6.5
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob_R
Landlubber

Post by Bob_R »

Over the last few months I have been comparing the various Appleton bottlings. While the V/X is less complex than the Special or 12 I find that I like the direct fruit and spice and the much lower level of oak more than the more expensive blends. Might not be as much fun to talk about, but it's more fun to drink.
Mike.357
Cabin Boy

Post by Mike.357 »

What is this "extra" i read about? While we have a decent rum section at the store and stock Appleton products we have no Extra. V/X, 12 year, and Special is it. And the Special is not even listed on the Appleton website.

I don't think it is for sale in east TN.

So what's the deal?

Capn's Log: The "Extra" is the 12 year old, which you have. Truly a great, Jamaican style sipping rum, although those who want an especially tasty mixed drink could consider it.
Pain or damage don't end the world. or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. -Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
Blade Rummer
Quartermaster

Post by Blade Rummer »

Although the extra is still my favorite of the Appleton expressions I've tried, the V/X is fine as a sipper.

It's also common enough that you can usually find it in bars (and homes!) where there's no other rum that can be had neat.

It's funny how younger rums especially have a stigma of being for mixing and not being worthy of sipping. To my palate, Appleton V/X, ED5 and Barbancourt 3 star are much better for enjoying neat than just about any Scotch at the same price point.

And yet, some people still drink JW Red Label on the rocks and look down on the previous mentioned rums. :?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Over here in the UK there is an Appleton that isn't part of the Appleton Estate range.

Called simply Appleton Special (white or gold) it comes in a standard bar bottle and retails even cheaper than the V/X. At its price point it is hard to find another authentic Jamaican rum other than Supermarket own labels (Sainsburys Dark Rum is all Jamaican rum).

It's not quite as good as the V/X slightly less refined and not as complex but as a mixer it makes decent drinks.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

The Fat Rum Pirate wrote:Over here in the UK there is an Appleton that isn't part of the Appleton Estate range.

Called simply Appleton Special (white or gold) it comes in a standard bar bottle and retails even cheaper than the V/X. At its price point it is hard to find another authentic Jamaican rum other than Supermarket own labels (Sainsburys Dark Rum is all Jamaican rum).

It's not quite as good as the V/X slightly less refined and not as complex but as a mixer it makes decent drinks.
It's available in the US too. I've never tried it - does it have that distinctive Jamaican character?
The Fat Rum Pirate
Quartermaster

Post by The Fat Rum Pirate »

Hassouni wrote:
The Fat Rum Pirate wrote:Over here in the UK there is an Appleton that isn't part of the Appleton Estate range.

It's available in the US too. I've never tried it - does it have that distinctive Jamaican character?
Yeah its pretty much just a younger variation on the V/X so its less complex and a bit more rough and ready. Definitely not one for sipping its far too harsh unless you really are a pirate perhaps!
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

I have to say for Appleton the V/X which is a blend between 5 and 10 year old (hence the V and X) is a great rum to start out the morning with. It is a nice lighter flavored rum not so strong with the oak or oak barrel flavors produced in the extra, 21, or 30 year. While clearly the 12 which is a blend of 12-18 or the 21-30 year old rum offers much more to the palate the V/X is not bad when you don't want a full on aged rum. This also beats the estate reserve which previously carried the aged statement of 8 years but no longer does. The 8 year while slightly aged longer considering color and oak flavor does not demand the 10+ dollar premium.

I personally find the nosing to be spicy, vanilla, rather subdued little detectable alcohol. I agree with Jimbo on the end palate which does offer a few seconds of astringency but quickly flows to a rather flavorful enjoyable finish which does last for a few min. I get more spice in my sweet finish with cinnamon, clove, and oddly some light chlorine on the tongue after the spices fade like I just jumped into a pool.

Overall a decent rum in this range for sipping and to start out any day and continue perhaps until the evening when another rum to finish the night may be called for. Subtract the astringency most likely due to younger blended barrels aged with column distillate and you have a real winner here above maybe a 6-7 rating. While Appleton has claimed the rum remains the same in the new label we can only hope that this astringent quality has been reduced or eliminated such as it was in Brugal's update of their Anejo. Hopefully they took out the chlorine which is very evident when drinking other aged rums along side.
Rum Warrior
Swabbie

Post by Rum Warrior »

Appleton V/X (now signature blend) Haiku Review

Buy a big bottle.
Although the twelve year's better,
It's a great value.
Rumaway
Landlubber

A Fav

Post by Rumaway »

This is an affordable, tasty rum that is nice to sip and adds a complexity to certain rum-based cocktails you won't get with smoother Cuban and Central American rums.

A few recs for those who are into cocktails:
A classic Mai Tai (STEP AWAY FROM THE MALIBU) with Appleton is amazing.

Kingston Negroni if you're into the Campari spirit-forward thing - great.

Rum Old Fashioned with a tsp of demerara sugar syrup (or coffee syrup if you want a jolt), Ango, orange twist :)