Rum Review: Siesta Key Spiced Rum

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate Siesta Key Spiced Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Siesta Key Spiced Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Siesta Key Spiced Rum: Warm Pumpkin Pie

Those of you who follow The Project know that I despise phonied up rum, particularly those "rums" that use unlabeled additives, flavorings and smoothers. The current economy makes its presence known by the market being split between super premium/super priced rums being marketed to our 1% slavemasters, and a whole slew of new flavored and spiced rums. The latter have taken over the shelves.

As a result, we have little interest in the current infestation of the spiced/flavored category that feature mostly flavorless, column-stilled rums that are spiffed up with all manner of unreal flavorings. Think Batshit Dingleberry. The few exceptions - which are marvelous - include the Brinleys, Richard Seales Foursquare, Old Monk XXX, and the Lash, to name just a few.

Nonetheless we were driven to actually buy a bottle of Siesta Key Spiced Rum based on an interesting series of events...

1. I saw the Furry One's, uh "review" which in his usual furry tongued fashion, quoted the distiller as using real spices and honey. This was a rare and intriguing claim.

2. Naturally, I rushed off to Total Wine & Spirits and was just about to buy one when I read the label which stated that this spiced rum was made with "...natural spices and... a touch of honey". One of the big, big issues is the notion of what are legally called "natural flavorings" (which contain a "natural" component, but are still mostly artificial).

To me this was a red flag: the term "natural spices" is too close to "natural flavorings" for comfort, so I walked away from the purchase, and contacted the distiller.

3. Several emails to the distiller went unanswered, a failing that tended to confirm our concerns. And that was that until we finally received a reply that made clear that Siesta does in fact use real spices and real honey. It is notable that the label also states the use of "high grade molasses" from Florida sugarcane.

That did it. I respect any distiller who takes the time and risk of a direct and honest reply. We now felt obligated to review Siesta Key's offering.

Sue Sea:
As you know I like presentation, and that begins with the bottle, but never fear, it is the rum that we rate. Siesta Key Spiced Rum is a combination of new and old: the bottle itself is a simple, tall, slightly tapered bottle with a nice thick glass base that feels old, but sports a modern label featuring a lifeguard stand and Florida palm overlooking sunset on a flat Gulf of Mexico sunset, a common sight on the west coast of Florida, including Sarasota, the home of Siesta Key.

It reminded me of the day we decided to watch sunrise in Fort Lauderdale, followed by a jaunt to Naples to catch sunset on the same day. That too was the day Jim waded into the Gulf and caught a lovely snook. Just another day in Paradise.

And "paradise" is a word I could easily attach to Siesta Key Spiced Rum. The aroma is simply delicious and enticing, and draws you in. It reminded me of an American Christmas with holiday spiced and pumpkin pie, warm and just out of the oven. Think pumpkin, allspice, ginger, cinnamon, clove and a touch of caramel and vanilla, like a warm, baked pie crust.

The early palate is of a light honeyed sweetness, and vanilla which develops into growing heat and spices that perfectly reflect the aroma. Remarkably the finish is suprisingly mellow and light - a tongue finish as noted by Jim. I was left with a nice mild pumpkin pie aftertaste that also conjures up sweet potato pie.

Siesta Key Spiced Rum is terrific. It would make a great dessert and holiday rum. It has a simply killer nose - I'd actually be tempted to pour some in a warmed pot to spice the air before holiday dinner. It would be a great component for making rum cake or cookies, in a mug with a dollop of whipped cream, or for a hot buttered rum. Siesta Key Spiced Rum would also be a predictably appreciated gift.
Me: Siesta Key Spiced Rum surpised me. I found it a Total Wine & Spirits, but when I picked it up I found that it was quite cloudy so my first reaction was to look for another bottle. It was then I realized that this rum is made with real spices. This rum is 35% (70 proof) and is hand numbered as batch number "2". Although cloudy I found no real sediment. The label claims "hand crafted", made in small batchs in a copper pot still. It claims to use "high grade molasses" from Florida sugarcane, natural (real) spices and a touch of honey.

Sue Sea and I have gotten to the point where our impressions (and scoring) are congruent. Whether real or not, spiced rums can be difficult and/or overpowering. Siesta Key Spiced Rum's aroma is just right, beautifully spiced and balanced. This is not an easy thing. The cooks among you know that spicing is an art, and easily overdone. Achieving balance and harmony is equally difficult, yet somehow Siesta Key has managed both. The aroma is almost perfumed, light and airy but still clearly spiced and lightly sweetened.

A mere handful of truly spiced rums have achieved this, and Siesta Key is now one of them, presenting its own unique blend of ideas and impressions. If you live here in Paradise, or wished you did, you must buy this wonderful rum.

Kudo's to Siesta Key.

Score (10 is best): solid 8

Capn's Note: This spiced rum demands that we now taste Siesta Key's Gold to experience the rum upon which the Spiced is based. Coming also - a comparison to some selected spiced rums. Please also note that an "8" is high praise indeed for a spiced rum. I would not be surprised if this score improves upon retasting and comparison with other top quality spiced rums. Stay tuned...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

From the distiller...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

From the distiller...

Thought you all might appreciate the email I finally got from the distiller...
Siesta Key: "Cap'n,

I just happened to browse through the spam folder a few minutes ago and came across this email. I would have responded sooner had I seen it.

To answer your questions:

1. Our spices are absolutely real. I am not sure what term to use but we order our spices from a spice house in the states. Some are ordered whole and some are ordered ground. I have chosen the form for each based on my experimentations with how the flavor passes to the rum in the different forms. The spices are weighed out and put in the rum based on the recipe. The spices are allowed to infuse the rum and are then filtered out. They are real spices in solid (ground and whole) form. We do not use any liquid "natural" flavors. It is a true spiced rum made by infusion with spices from nature.

2. The honey is sourced in the states as well. It is not Florida honey at this point (I have been experimenting with some 100% Florida honey though). It is not ultra filtered and has no other sweeteners. I am sorry but I don't want to reveal exactly what type of honey it is. I have had someone guess correctly once, but I didn't even verify it then! :) I do need to keep some trade secrets.

I would be happy to have you try some and review it. You will find that it has a very spiced flavor. It is not a mainstream, over-vanilla tasting spiced rum.

Thanks for the email. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Troy Roberts
Founder/Distiller
Drum Circle Distilling
Siesta Key Rum"

This is most interesting. Of note is the distiller's experimentation with whole vs ground spices, and the use of both - and all real, whole spices from nature. The question regarding ultrafiltering refers to the fact that much honey is imported into the United States from China by evading the law. Chinese honey is known to contain dangerous contaminents. They evade the law by first "ultrafiltering" the product to remove DNA evidence of origin, then often add non-honey sweeteners and components. Some of their "honey" doesn't even contain honey, but is simply flavored sugar syrup.

Again, Kudos to Siesta Key. We look forward to tasting their Gold rum...