Johannsen rum Flensburger Verschnitt

Thanks to JaRiMi, one of the very few honest and rum knowledgable experts about - and an advocate of a Trinidadian style. The rum to cause this category: Scarlet Ibis.
da'rum
Minor God

Johannsen rum Flensburger Verschnitt

Post by da'rum »

http://www.johannsen-rum.de/

A rum house that was founded in 1878.

This is original verschnitt made in differing bottling's of differing classes.

I bought a bottle of the traditional Caribbean 54% abv

Cost 12€

watered to 42 ish abv

Aroma uh oh, burnt sugar, Jamaican rum background, ie ripe fruits. Also a musty smell reminiscent of Pusser's. It also has an Appleton's mildness to its aroma and not really fruity like the Braasch or S&C.

Taste Not overly caramel even though this has without a doubt caramel added. In fact all the flavours are subdued, not too over powering with nothing too unpleasant. Mild esters ripe tropic fruits. Very Jamaican perhaps Barbados in there as well as I could draw comparisons to Mount Gay XO. It is a pleasant rum.

All in all a good rum at a brilliant price.

I will re review this rum as the bottle oxidises a bit as I did notice the 'fresh bottle rawness'.

For now it's a 7/10

Cheers
Last edited by da'rum on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Great contribution...

da'Rum da's it again with a lovely pic and informative review. The German rums are very underrated; yet they are perhaps the largest purchaser of high ester Jamaican rums. These have upwards of 500 esters, compared to more typical rums with less than 50 esters.

I do hope to see far more German products on the shelves.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I suggest to watch the video on the main page of the website there. It's in German but the pictures show some of the inner processes of the company.I like the transparency of Johannsen's and like that I can go into the shop and they encourage taste testing before I buy.That's confidence in product.
in goes your eye out