Rum Review: Barbancourt Pango Rum

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate Barbancourt Pango Rum (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
50%
50%
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Barbancourt Pango Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Barbancourt Pango Rum: "A No-Fruits-Barred Dessert Rum, er Rhum"

This review will be quickie based on an even quicker tasting by Sue Sea and me. I was posting a comment over at Scotte's and ran into a snag over Pango - a very unique rum (or "rhum" for the faux French rhum snobs who may be reading) produced by the great Barbancourt. So I ran into Sue Sea's bedroom with a dram of Pango, thrust it in front of her and exclaimed "Taste this quickly! I need a descriptor!".

She did and my/our comments were then posted:
Pango: bought the bottle, and cause it’s from Barbancourt, one of the truly great distillers, it was a no brainer. And like you its amazing aroma defies me. A kind of tutty fruity, bubblegum, mango, uh, something I couldn’t quite place.

Then Sue Sea nailed it: a peach/apricot nectar with perhaps a touch of mango. Taste is consistent, add clove, maybe a bit of allspice and pepper. Short, warmish finish with the sweet fruity (but not cloying) aftertaste. You simply have to call this a no-fruit-barred dessert rum.

Honest, Sue Sea and I could see this one over a scoop of good vanilla, yum. Let’s put it this way: it’s from Barbancourt, it is quality, and it is inexpensive. A fun rum, er rhum to spring on friends after dinnner.
We'll put a number on this one later when we do a complete tasting, but for now: it's by Barbancourt, it's quality, it's inexpensive and it's a no brainer. A must buy.

Rating (10 is best): unrated for now.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat May 22, 2010 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pango Rhum by Barbancourt: the Complete Review

There is no doubt that Pango is a cane juice rum of unique character enjoyed in Haiti. Barbancourt is revered for their exceptional commitment to quality and is one of the very few companies that is willing to endure the time and cost to produce what is as close to handmade rum as you're likely to get. No corners are cut. This is due in no small measure to the availability of very low cost labor, an otherwise sad commentary.

According to Barbancourt, Pango Rhum - like all of their other world class products - is made from 100% sugar cane juice, aged in French Limosin oak. Pot stills are used. The end product - which I believe is their white product - is then "hand blended with exotic fruits and spices", some clearly unknown to typical meat and potatoes American palates. To the re-reviews:

Sue Sea:
Pango Rhum sure is different, and I must be honest and tell you that I'm not into fruity or liqueurish types of drinks or spirits. The bottle is simple, utilitarian and colorful. The large faux gold leaf label features artistic representations of exotic tropical fruits - I have a hunch these may be the actual fruits used to produce Pango's unique aromas and tastes. I recognize pineapple, star fruit, lime, and banana. There are three or four others not familiar to me, including one that actually looks like a corn on the cob!

Pango's first aroma, as before is sweet and heavy. The mango seems more dominant, but with peach/apricot nectar and a bit of pear and pineapple. The opening and mid palates are entirely consistent and sweet. The end palate is a different matter as there is a mini-explosion of warm (but not hot) spices which are clove with a light cinnamon and a bit of ginger. A nice little kick of a finish, quick and short. Here's where it gets interesting. Pango leaves an astringent (dry) aftertaste, much like that would be left by dried apricot - a rind like sensation.

This is more like a liqueur and for me, is definitely a dessert rum. I can see it being served at a Hawaiian Luau party, or in a mango colada type of drink. As a sipper, I have to call this a personal "4", but for those who are into sweet liqueurs Pango more than holds its own and is a solid "6".

Me:

What an interesting rum! Pango Rhum presents as a translucent gold with slower thick legs. One of the problems with a fine rum like this is its unique combination of unexpected and unfamiliar aromas and tastes to the American audience. It is rum you have to live with for awhile to really "get". Sue Sea's tasting is as close as we all are like to get considering the exotic fruits.

The aroma is so unusual, pungent, and sweetly thick that one is misled to expect a cloying sweet and coating rum liqueur. It leaves a powerful first impression. The actual taste is really quite pleasant, relatively lighter, non-cloying and non-coating. In fact the finish is much more akin to a mainline rum than any liqueur, with a nice warming finish that I rate a bit hotter than Sue Sea. This heat makes me want to say "hot and spicy" but let's just make that "very warm and spicy". Or maybe "hot and spicy". Hmmm. I'd add some ending pepper to her notes. Nice chest effect and a lick your lips aftertaste.

Overall - consistent, but with a surprising, slightly astringent finish and hot/sweet aftertaste.

Sue Sea has almost an aversion to sweet and syrupy and I do understand her reaction. Still, she manages to keep an open mind and always has other people's differing tastes in mind. This is not an easy rum to review as it is so uniquely out of the mainstream. Sipping/drinking is a very different experience than tasting/reviewing. The latter spends considerably more time with the nose in the glass, and is accordingly much more likely to be misled by Pango's sweet pungency. As an experiment we did some ordinary, relatively inattentive sipping - neat, on ice and with a bit of light cream. All were extremely pleasant and give a different impression.

As for me, I find Pango Rhum to be an acquired taste - which when once acquired is quite intriguing and very pleasant. For Americans it may remain a conversation piece, but I would not hesitate to serve Pango to my guests as an after dinner surprise. I'll say it again - it's from Barbancourt, it's well made and at its low price Pango Rhum really is a must buy.

Score (10 is best): Sue Sea - 5, Jimbo - 6.

Special Note: I was so curious about the exotic fruits that I bagged the bottle and took it to our local Hispanic food store and found the produce manager. I reached into the bag, and to the great surprise of this unsuspecting gentleman, pulled out a bottle of rum. When his mouth closed, I explained my interest and asked if he recognized any of the fruits.

He did, and with a big smile identifed some of them. These included peach, pear, Haitian mango, guanaban and guayaba. I then scanned the imported fruit section and added passion fruit, guava, papaya and cashew fruit to my possibles list.

I've also emailed my contact at Barbancourt. Stay tuned...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.