Stop Massive Rum Subsidies in the USVI and Puerto Rico

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!

Do you support or reject subsidies to the USVI and Puerto Rico?

I completely reject them.
18%
I will join in the fight to reverse them.
9%
I will boycott Barcardi and Captain Morgan.
18%
I reject them , I will fight them, and I will boycott.
55%

Total votes: 11

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The beat goes on...

A Press Kit was sent to a select group of webmasters - I can only pray that I have expressed the issue effectively. The petition just hit 49 signatures, almost all of which used real names, quite impressive. The thread at the Shillery seems to be kept alive by two or three very stubborn poster.

The key of course will be for either more webmasters or more posters to realize the risk. Apparently the last two years of having the Big Three take over most of the rum shelves isn't enough. When this site began the Big Three occupied the bottom half of the stack, and now they own 90% of the real estate, and 100% of the prime, eye level shelving. The ever fewer sipping rums are forced to the hard to reach, hard to see top shelves where extra stock used to be.

Bacardi used to be the undisputed king of marketing pressure. Their representatives were reputed to great pressure on bar, and making such favorable deals that they were able to demand and succeed at having bars carry only Bacardi. The Big Three control so much product that they specify shelf space and get it.

These next few months are going to be pretty critical in terms of momentum. I hate to say it but the loss of a label or two may finally be the straw...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I think you're right mate, enough people just don't care. It won't be until, as you say, that a few brands disappear that notice is taken. However I think that the majority of people are so apathetic and non contributing zeroes that as long as there is something named rum to drink they still won't care.

Frankly there aren't enough true rum enthusiasts to create a consumer protest. There are plenty of self titled rum lovers that are merely people who enjoy a rum but don't care about the history or the quality standards.

99% of the rum sites/blogs are run by people who want to be 'the guy' the rum guru who is seen as a cool guy that hangs in the Caribbean and knows all there is to know about kill divil. At the same time these rum site self promoters are just that, self promoting arseholes that have an eye on the dollar and want to be noticed by the distributors and have dreams of paid trips around the globe presenting rum brands in exotic places. These people are the enemies of rum and are as about as useful to rum as ivory sellers are to Elephant populations.

The members are mostly as useless as the sites owners. Merely passive consumers easily lead to the well of choice and sold the dirty water. The Caribbean distilleries must protect themselves as the people that have enjoyed their products over the years can't be bothered.

Capn's Log: largely agreed, but we should note well that the market for fine rums (think MGXO, Appleton 12, Barbancourt, Ron Matusalem, et al) is actually quite large and comprised of sippers who have zero interest in the products of the Big Three).
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In search of the tipping point...

Fortunately this is not my first rodeo. I remember well the early reaction to the literal handful of posters, including me, who rejected the Z-23 myth as "the best rum in the world". We were greeted with silence and even some outright hostility for pointing out the King was naked. This went on for some months but in time - and with enough posts in enough places - it drew out others who felt the same way but hadn't the courage to speak out.

What posting and not giving up does is to finally draw these hidden supporters out. And at a point a critical mass is achieved and the myth gets destroyed.

That is exactly what happened with Z-23 and I am confident will happen as well with this issue. In fact, I think this issue has legs (pun intended) as the first experimental batch of press release teases went out last night, and this morning I received a positive response from a very influential insider who requested additional information. I believe it will be a combination of persistance, and drawing out both ordinary posters, key webmasters and spokemen.

When the Z-23 myth busting first started there was NO support whatever. This time there is not only interest by other webmasters, but now two key insiders. And not to mention TONS of media that simply didn't exist for the Zee matter. In closing this post, I sure understand the frustration, which goes with the program.

I don't know how many of you have ever run a marathon, or sought a valuable but time-delayed goal but it's important to run through the empty middle. Those who have crossed oceans in small craft have frequently spoken of the lonliness of the great middle, with your home and destination both far away.

Right now, it's time to stroke, stroke, bail, bail...
Capn Jimbo

Milestone...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A Milestone...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .50 Signatures!

Congratulations on all your efforts. I have other good news looming, stay tuned...

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sto ... uerto.html
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

And Dave Broom is 52!
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Capn's Log: largely agreed, but we should note well that the market for fine rums (think MGXO, Appleton 12, Barbancourt, Ron Matusalem, et al) is actually quite large and comprised of sippers who have zero interest in the products of the Big Three).
Realize that none of these fine rums, or El Dorado, or Richard Seale's rums are available in Ohio.

Capn's Log: In the interest of getting back on thread, please allow me to summarize the next two posts: Yank pointed out: "So order from out of state, Ohio is on the list of states that Hitime wine in Cali will ship to. We can get MGXO and Appleton here in NC, but not the others unless we special order by the case. Seales products though are only available at Total wine."

And Janki responded: "We can order wine mail order, but not for liquor. I'll seek the good stuff out when I go out of town. Most people here will not find great rum when they go to their local store. We do have Prichards, but only 8 stores in the state carry it."
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It is darkest just before the dawn...

It was less than a day ago that both daRum and myself expressed normal frustration with a less than optimal - read shitty - response from the monkeys. Each precious signature was trying, but still they were mounting. But then something special happened. In short order:

1. Four well known authors including Beachbum Berry and Luis Ayala expressed interest with two more - the incomparable Dave Broom and Davin Kergommeaux signed the petition. And it turns out Lance of Liquorature and Steve Shaw of Shaw Wines of New York signed as well.

2. A Mountain of Ice (Tiara), the Bilgemunky and the Rum Club of Italy had already committed to do something, and today two more, a French Website and one other (to be nameless for a bit) did too (and signed the petition).

3. Signatures - which were stuck at around 45 - exploded to 59 early tonight, and the day is not yet over, 11 new signatures since this morning!

This is a good time to take heart and keep on keeping on. Thanks to all...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

There is no higher honor...

I have long held Dave Broom (author of "Rum", "The World Atlas of Whisky" and regular contributor to Whisky Magazine) as one of the living masters of spirits, and a personal hero. One of his great contributions was the notion of classifying rums into styles: Jamaican, Guyanan, Cane Juice and Cuban styles. His pioneering work was the basis for this website, which is organized along Broom's styles.

Davin Kergommeaux is perhaps the leading expert of Canadian Whisky, and has written the first definitive book about this spirit ("Canadian Whisky, the Portable Expert" and also a regular contributor to Whiskey Advocate.

Thus, when Dave Broom signed the petition, along with Davin Kergommeaux on the same day, I was completely floored. I'd sent the press release to Davin, an old email contact, but it didn't enter my wildest dreams to include Broom.

When Yank reported that Broom was No. 52, at first I thought it was a joke. And I still thought that when I saw the name "David Broom", "Sussex" - yes - at No. 52. The thought crossed my mind that this signature might be a spoof but fortunately, as the creator of the petition, I have special access to verify emails and IP addresses. I checked, and to my complete surprise...

It was absolutely Dave Broom, and also Davin Kergommeaux (who'd done me the honor of advising me he'd signed).

This my friends is the greatest compliment possible and bestows absolute and complete credibility to our efforts. To me, there is no higher accolade, no better confirmation of the truth and value of this cause. To Dave Broom and Davin Kergommeaux: our sincere thanks and appreciation. Your signatures mean everything...

Thank you.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's still a marathon, but...

Unlike the myth of Z-23, the issue of the Caribbean rum crisis is much larger, and has the world's attention. All of the major media have taken note: NBC, Associated Press, NPR and uncountable news outlets all over the planet and especially in the Caribbean.

Before we get back to work, let's review our gains in this battle:

1. A formal petition was created and is being signed by both ordinary rum drinkers and some of the leaders of the world of rum, including Dave Broom and Davin Kergommeaux. Lance of Liquorature and two other rum webmasters signed. Steve Shaw of Shaw Wineries (and who represents a few selected spirits signed). Every signature counts, and in the end it will be the thousands of average rum lovers that will make the difference.

2. We have received statements of interest and/or support from Beachbum, Luis Ayala, Tiare (A Mountain of Ice), the Bilgemunky, Rhum Agricole.net, the Floating Rum Shack and others. Several of these plan to participate in promoting the issue and petition.

3. Special recognition goes to our small band of regular posters, especially da'rum and jankdc, and NCyankee, RT, and JaRiMii. Without your support during the dark early days I might not have been able to continue. It shows that a determined band of true rum lovers can make a difference. I am creating a page - Friends of Caribbean Rum - to publicly honor you and those who follow or accompany all who truly care.

Take a breath and raise a dram to yourselves! I suggest Mount Gay Extra Old. Here's to 1703! Back to work, and oh - 61 signatures, two more than when I started writing this post...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And the hits just keep on comin....

And should be music to our ears. To my continued great amazement, Davin Kergommeaux posted a long article about our efforts and the petition at what is a major website: CanadianWhisky.Org (free plug).

An exerpt:

Davin:"When Cap’n Jimbo hoisted me on my own petard, I should not have been so amused. But the Cap’n and I have jousted over whisky “facts” for a few years now. And I think if you asked the Cap’n he’d swear he’s won every round, just as I would assert he has not. Throughout we have both remained good natured. We both LOVE great spirits: the Cap’n – rum, me – whisky.

A couple of days ago the Cap’n sent me a note soliciting my support for a large number of tiny Caribbean rum distillers that are being crowded out of production by government-subsidized, big-moneyed producers. More hysterical provocation, I thought warily, before taking the bait. So I sent a note off to my friend, noted rum expert Dave Broom who confirmed that what the Cap’n had told me was no exaggeration. Then I went back to Cap’n Jimbo’s note, followed his link, and signed his petition. Read Cap’n Jimbo’s note below and decide if you should do the same."

The complete - long - article is a MUST READ, and is here:
http://www.canadianwhisky.org/news-view ... ucers.html

This is a victory for all of us and again I will name you: especially da'rum and jankdc, and NCyankee, RT, and JaRiMi. We stand together, and we are no longer alone.

Please promote and link the article, especially today as it is currently his featured front page article, but will move to the inside after today.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

A round of applause for Devin!

Capn's Log: (applauding)! Thank you for your persistance and contributions. da'rum is da'man! Signatures now 67... oops, 73... oops, now 77! Nearly 30 new signatures in little over a day, good grief!
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

More supporters...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

If I haven't mentioned them already...

Got a note of support from Olli Hiatalahti, the man behind (thank God!) Ron de Jeremy, and Ron de Jeremy Spiced (we reviewed the first). The famous Luis Ayala let me know that he is well aware of the issue and has been working with unnamed distillers toward a solution.

Good on them both.

Capn's Log: But where are Wolfboy and the Preacher?! Missing in action, and perhaps wearing their Diageo kneepads...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Another article to read and cite...

"Is the United States bullying Caricom countries into the ground or is the US blind-sided by the desires of large corporations?"
(here)
(Source: Caribbean Marvel Blog)

and...

"Caricom confronts US on unfair rum trade"
(here)
(Source: Kaieteur News)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You can really hear the sadness and sense of futility in one of those articles. The more I read about the US's actions in this case and many others that kill competition and diversity and send whole countries into poverty the angrier I get.

I will definitely never again in my life drink anything from the big 3 especially DIAGEO.

The actions of the US show a sociopathic disregard for others on this planet.

It's shameful. If it wasn't for the efforts of Americans like the members here to reverse and or stop this latest shitfight I'd write the whole bloody country off.

Capn's Log: Yes, the sad and hurting tone of the first article is a blog of a Caribbean woman. You can believe that a writer from a small Caribbean island would feel - far more than we - the ravaging actions of the USVI. And I believe that the second part of her title "... or is the US blind-sided by the desires of large corporations? is right on the money. The problem is less ordinary Americans - the 99% - but really the huge international conglomerates who are running the show with their lobbyists and major money to buy off our politicians.
in goes your eye out
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Actually Cap'n, I don't blame the producers for doing it, I blame the politicians for allowing it to be done.

If they can "legally" stack the deck in their favor, they'd be stupid not to do so. I just hope the WTO makes the US Governnment look like idiots. Our system of government is broken. Government by corporation is not democracy.