Stop Massive Rum Subsidies in the USVI and Puerto Rico

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!

Do you support or reject subsidies to the USVI and Puerto Rico?

I completely reject them.
18%
I will join in the fight to reverse them.
9%
I will boycott Barcardi and Captain Morgan.
18%
I reject them , I will fight them, and I will boycott.
55%

Total votes: 11

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Things are moving fast...

Two days ago da'rum and moi were frustrated and bellyaching. Then came the press kit, posts around the net and the signatures of Dave Broom and Davin Kergommeaux. Davin normally keeps a front page headline article up for no more than a day. He wrote to tell me that he was shocked at the number of hits and response he got from his readers, so he said he's going to keep it on the front page another day.

After that it simply moves to the right column, and then into the interior. But the article is permanent and is a powerful tool. Signatures are growing very fast, and continues each time I check back - currently 82 but it's probably more now (where is RT?). It is also noteworthy that if you Google "Rum Subsidies" we show up on page 1!

Two two most important links you can post right now are:

Davin's Article: Rum War Threatens Small Caribbean Producers
http://www.canadianwhisky.org/news-view ... ucers.html

The Petition to Save Caribbean Rum:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sto ... uerto.html

Suggestion: Google "Rum Subsidies" and visit the many links that show up. Often you will be able to leave comments.

Thanks... now is time to go nuts and keep up the pressure. You can also resepond to any posts you find praising a particular rum, and point out that their favorite rum may not be around for long. This makes the issue real and personal for slow thinkers.

Time to defecate or evacuate...
Capn Jimbo

Congratulations to all...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Congratulations to all... It's About Winning!

Honestly, I'm not sure where they are coming from, but we've reached another milestone, and far earlier that I'd have believed. The critical mass we need is still ahead, but solid issues like this one tend to escalate in exponential fashion. It's called acceleration.

Again, congratulations to all...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Just hit 100... no 102... 103 signatures - and growing - as I post this and they're all real...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

...no silicone, lol. We sure don't want to lose any of the real Caribbean rums like this world class Wray & Nephews overproof, called "The best overproof on the market" by Dave Broom, aka #52 on the petition...

Looks like the only rum lovers who aren't excited are the eunuchs over at the Shillery, save for a few brave, hard and hardy newbies who have grabbed firmly onto the issue. As so well put by the W&N Women's Socca Team: "It's About Winning!"

Capn Jimbo

Bilgemunky supports the petition...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bilgemunky supports the petition... and publishes!

I have always been a big fan of the Bilgemunky, whose solid and well distributed reviews scored quite well in the Reviewer's Reviews. He's a fan of hearty rums that befit his Pirate-themed website. What Beachbum Berry does for Tiki, the Bilgemunky does for Pirates. In fact, I'm so into his enthusiasm I'd buy a Bilgemunky baseball hat, if there was one (I love hats). Bilge, how 'bout it? And why doesn't The Project have one?

The Bilgemeister has supported this issue from the get go, but has been travelling so only recently did he have the time to post. And post he did: a nice article and links to Davin's article AND the petition. The effect was immediately felt at the petition, which I expect to continue for quite some time based on the Bilge's tremendous following among a huge number of pirate fans, who - surprise, surprise - are serious rum lovers.

I cannot thank the Bilgemunky enough for joining the Friends of Caribbean Rum and the fight to save Caribbean rum: (here).

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Beachbum Berry and more...

Honestly, the signatures are mounting so fast that I honestly just can't keep track of them all, but Jeff Berry, aka Beachbum, and who also occupies my bookshelf ("Beachbum Berry Remixed" and "Sippin Safari") dropped me an email letting me know he'd signed (#127).

Also thanks to Olli Hietalahti the producer of Ron de Jeremy (#130), and Marva (Carribean Marvel Blog) who has spoken so movingly of the destruction of Caribbean rum and culture. A large number of other webmasters from both the worlds of rum and whiskiy are also signatories, along with true rum lovers from all over Canada, the United States, the Caribbean, South America, the UK and Far East - all people who care.

More news: Save Caribbean Rum now has its own e-mail, tweets, et al.

Some good things you can do:
Tweet:

Sign the petition to Save Caribbean Rum - under attack by the USVI...join Dave Broom, Davin Kergommeaux Beachbum Berry and many more. http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sto ... uerto.html
If you are member of Facebook, please contact your friends with our two best links:
Facebook:

My good friends. The fine Caribbean rum we love is under attack and many may be forced out of business by the multi billion dollar US subsidies given by the USVI to Diageo, a foreign corporation.

Please help and sign this petition:

If you are interested, here's a current article that tells the whole story:

But in any case, I am asking you personally to read the petition and to please add your name if you agree.
Some of our friends have used both and it really works. Our job now is to enhance and expand our efforts exponentially. Facebook and Tweet really do this very well, not to mention your own e-mail address. Think about it: if only two or three of your contacts spread the word, at a point things can really go viral.

I believe this will, but it requires all of our efforts. Pour yourself a nice dram from Barbados, Jamaica, Guyana, the DR or really any fine Caribbean rum and take a few minutes to do this.

The Caribbean Marvel (here) thanks you...

Special Note: If you use Facebook, go to the petition (link above) and just under the title of the page you will find both a "Recommend" and a "Send" button. Please, please do both! This notifies many, many people easily, who are far more likely to participate.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Today's update... the beat goes on!

1. I was contacted by a major media outlet for an interview, which I provided. Details to follow.

2. Robert V. Burr - son of Papa Burr - retweeted the petition to his rougly 900 followers.

3. Spirits website "Inu a Kena" - Josh Miller is posting an article about the petition and has tweeted multiple times.

4. The Rum Baba retweeted to his roughly 200 followers.

5. Today, 26 new sigs to 154, with 76 Facebook "Recommends", and the day is not yet over.

Again, as per the previous post, you can go to the petition and "recommend" or "send" the petition to your Facebook friends. This is a must!
Capn Jimbo

And the beat...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's like the common cold...

One kid coughs at school, and 5 kids get sick a day later, and soon the virus is spreading like a wildfire through the whole school. Like a virus, a true and valid issue either reaches a critical mass and/or gets recognition by respected opinion leaders and when true rum lovers are presented with an opportunity go beyond complaining and do something! Like...

Sign a formal petition to fight back.

I believe that is happening. Some of you will remember the frustration of the first month. We had a few days of mailing our friends - who responded and we got our first 39 or 40 signatures in the first week. Then? Crickets. After that first friendly week, the sigs dropped off to one or so every couple days. In the first 31 days the total grew almost not at all to 49, for an average of about 1.6 signatures a day.

But thing were actually happening.

All of our few but serious Rum Project members worked hard both here and elsewhere. I spent literally 10 hours a day posting and mailing. Then magic happened. A press kit was created and approved by you. The kit bundled all the issues into one tasty and hard hitting, easy to understand and use press release. The kit was sent out to perhaps 30 key webmasters, distillers and others with whom I've communicated over the years, and...

Bingo!

Author Davin de Kergommeaux was so taken with the release that he called Dave Broom - who verified that feisty Capn Jimbo was right on the bullseye, whereupon Broom actually signed the petition (#52), Davin wrote his very complete and supportive article and also signed the petition. I practically fell off my computer chair when Yank brought to our attention that indeed Broom was signature #52. This was verified by both Davin in his article, and by my editor's priveleges at the petition.

Then all hell broke loose. Naturally I let the same list know of what is really the highest possible recommendation in the wacky world of rum - the preceeding - and one by one others started to join in. The Bilgemunky came back from vacation and published. Inu a Kena the same, and tweeted. Beachbum Berry signed. Ron de Jeremy signed. And so it went.

Of course the Press Kit is constantly improved, and the petition recently came to the attention of a member of major media who wrote moi to request an interview. Of course I refused! Bullshit. Actually - again - I was dumbfounded. WTF was happening? The media reporter had left a number, I called and a lengthy interview was concluded (more anon).

Bottom Line;

1. In the first 31 days, short of a small initial burst, the petition averaged 1.6 signatures a day. But more and more people were being made aware not only of the issue, but of a way to do something and sign the petition.

2. The Press Kit was successful and following Davin's headline article the signatures spiked to 10 the very first day. Davin had such an impressive response that he left it up another day, delaying his Canadian Whisky awards and the sigs jumped to 17 the second day. The third day the article move down the page, and the sigs dropped to 8. Call it an average of 11.6 sigs/day. A drop over an intial flurry is normal, but then another surprise. Or was it?

3. Again behind the scenes and like the snot nosed kid coughing at school, the virus was silently spreading. This time the signatures didn't drop off after the initial flurry, but grew once again. Over the next 5 days the signatures kept growing from about 13, to 15, to 17, to 25 and yesterday - to a record 30 signatures. Will another lull happen?

Sure - it's inevitable - but if I were you I'd get a flu shot...

Bottom Bottom Line:

Although I simply can't identify the specific reasons I do know that much has to with the spreading of the word, the issue and the solution to more and more people. At a point I will try to publicly acknowledge the intial and very important key players, but also those who once properly informed quickly joined in. We are all together in this, and we simply cannot give up the fight. The truth will prevail and together, we can publicly support our beloved Caribbean friends and their fine rums but more importantly, their dignity and culture.

In closing use all the means at your disposal - posts, your private email addresses and friends, your Twitter and Facebook accounts. Let's all join to quash these unneeded and disgusting subsidies and follow the lead of da'rum who first brought Diageo to our attention.

The focus must always be the petition, and our best tools include Davin's article, the support and signatures of key leaders, and the Press Kit.

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And the hits just keep on comin!

Kindly do not interpret the delay as an indication of inactivity, actually it's quite the reverse. A few bullets...

1. Recent new signatures include: Josh of Inu a Kena, Matt the Rum Dood, and Forrest Cokely of A Drink with Forrest. Already signed: of course the first and most important, Dave Broom and David Kergommeaux, followed by Beachbum Berry and my friend the Bilgemunky.

2. Scott of Rum Victoria allowed a long post about the issue. Perhaps the only webmasters not personally committed - strange indeed - are the Wolfboy and the Master of the Universe (though to his credit a long thread has been carried on by a few brave newbies, later briefly joined by Forrest and Ruminsky).

3. Ian Williams and many other industry insiders are now "friending" the Save Caribbean Rum! Facebook page. Save Caribbean Rum! is now its own entity with an email (savecarribeanrum@gmail.com), and its own twitter and facebook accounts.

Accordingly the problem and the solution - the petition to Save Caribbean Rum - is beginning to mutate and to start to go viral.

4. The petition will soon hit 200.

Special Capn's Log:

I cannot stress enough your used of Facebook and Twitter, not to mention your own email contacts. A sincere plea and request to your email friends (a) identifying the issue, (b) asking them to please read and sign it if they agree and last (c) to spread the word and forward the email and (d) to please, please use their twitter/facebook accounts too.

Each and every time a twitter/facebook notification goes out we see near immediate signatures. Meanwhile the net is spreading, and more people read each e-blast.

Those who fail to comply will be keelhauled...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The owner of Fish D'vine, Australia's and arguably the worlds ;) best Rum Bar situated at Airlie beach http://fishdvine.com.au/rum-story.html has signed the petition and has said that he will put the information in his bar so customers can read for themselves and make informed decisions.

This is actually not a small thing. Airlie beach is the gateway to the Whitsundays which is a very popular tourist destination. The rum bar is famous and has a list of over 280 rums. This has the potential to reach a substantial amount of people.

Thanks to Mark Wyatt!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... sland.html
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It just won't stop 'cause we won't stop...

Three guesses? How bout just one...

' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' 'Image

Although da'rum may recognize the meaning behind this milestone reached last night - 200 signatures - and you won't believe who else is signing. Da'rum has pointed out a real goodie, but there are many, may more. For example: an official of El Dorado tweeted the petition, as well as the CEO of True Blue Jamaica Coffee, who just "friended" Save Caribbean Rum on Facebook. And a good shout out to the literally hundreds or rum lovers from all over the world who have signed, not to mention their tweets and facebook posts.

So what's behind the visual?

The "200" of course, but the coins shown are an Aussis coin called the "Holey Dollar". Until then the actual medium of exchange was - yup! - rum. Seriously. At about the time of what was called the "Rum Revolution", the Aussies decided to buck the system - the story is best told by the National Australian Museum:
NAM: "The holey dollar was created to address a shortage of coins in the new colony. Governor Lachlan Macquarie imported 40,000 Spanish reales in 1812 and had convicted forger William Henshall cut the centre out of each, to double the number of available coins. The coins were counterstamped and the outer ring became known as the holey dollar, with the centre renamed the dump.

Macquarie set the value of the holey dollar at five shillings, with 15 pence for the dump. These coins went into circulation in 1814 and were replaced with sterling coinage from 1822. The National Museum's holey dollar is one of about 300 in existence.

'Holey dollars speak eloquently of the creative and improvisatory attempts to create an orderly administration in colonial Australia,' said National Museum Director Andrew Sayers. 'The holey dollar we have acquired for the National Museum is a finely preserved example of this iconic object from the era of Macquarie'."
(Credit: http://www.nma.gov.au/collections/highl ... ley_dollar)

The 200th Anniversay of the Aussie Rum Revolution was celebrated not all that long ago, and provided the inspiration for our milestone. It is not insignificant that other forms of the "Holey Dollar" were created and used in the Brititsh Caribbean, including British Guiana, Dominica, Grenada, Saint Vincent, Tobago and Trinidad.

Thus the "Holey Dollar" is the perfect symbol for the 200th signature to Save Caribbean Rum. A special thanks to the Aussies who have vigrously joined us in the fight.

Remember: It's a marathon. Diageo is the problem - we are the answer... and another 5 signatures came in while I was posting. Don't stop!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Regarding Boycotts... a question?

Those who have promoted and are boycotting Diageo and Fortune do so for good reason. But is that enough. Over the past years the promoters I call the Big Three (not to be confused with the Big Three conglomerates) are the Preacher, the Rum Queen and the Burr Brothers. The Preacher hasn't put on a big fest for awhile, and the Rum Queen sold out which leaves...

The Burr Brothers and their Miami Rum Renaissance. It's coming up in two months and here are the rums who bought tables or donated product and on whose backs a great deal of profit is made:
1 Barrel
10 Cane
Appleton Estate 12 year old
Appleton Estate Reserve
Atlantico Platino
Atlantico Private Cask
Atlantico Reserva
Bacardi 8 Años
Bacardi Gold
Bacardi Oakheart
Bacardi Superior
Barbancourt 15 year Estate Reserve
Barrilito 3 Star
Barritt's Ginger Beer
Bermudez Aniversario
Blackbeard Spiced
Blackwell Rum
Bohemio 15 year
Bohemio Honey Rum
Botran Reserva
Botran Solera
Brugal 1888
Brugal Añejo
Brugal Blanco Especial
Brugal Extra Viejo
Cachaça Poesia
Caliche
Captain Mogran Black Spiced
Carta Vieja Añejo
Centenario 7 year old
Chairman's Reserve
Chairman's Reserve Silver
Chairman's Reserve Spiced
Clarke's Court Old Grog Rum
Clarke's Court Superior Dark
Clarke's Court Superior Light
De La Grende Liqueur
Dictador 12
Dictador 20
Dictador XO Insolent
Dictador XO Perpetual
Diplomatico Ambassador
Diplomatico Añeja
Diplomatico Blanco
Diplomatico Reserva
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
DonQ Añejo
DonQ Coco
DonQ Cristal
DonQ Gold
DonQ Gran Añejo
DonQ Limon
DonQ Mojito
DonQ Pasion
Dos Maderas Luxus
Dos Maderas PX 5+5
Dzama Ambre de Nosy-Be Premium
Dzama Blanche de Nosy-Be Premium
Dzama Cuvée Blanche Classic
Dzama Cuvée Blanche Premium
Dzama Cuvée Noire Classic
Dzama Cuvée Noire Premium
Dzama Vieux Rhum XV
Dzama Vanilla 1 yo
Dzama Vanilla 10 yo
FlipFlop Silver
FlipFlop Spiced
Flor de Caña Centenario Gold 18 year old
Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4 year old
Flor de Caña Grand Reserve 7 year old
Fresh Coconuts - Coconut King
Medellin 12 years
Medellin 3 years
Medellin 8 years
Miami Club Rum Plantino
Panama Red
Panamonte Reserva Preciosa
Plantation 20th Anniversary Extra Old
Plantation Barbados 2000
Plantation Grande Reserve 5 year old
Plantation Guadeloupe 1998
Plantation Guatemala Gran Añjeo
Plantation Guyana 1999
Plantation Jamaica 2000
Plantation Original Dark Overproof
Plantation Panama 2000
Plantation Three Stars White
Plantation Trinidad 2000
Prichard's Cranberry Rum
Prichard's Crystal Rum
Prichard's Fine Rum
Prichard's Key Lime Rum
Prichard's Sweet Georgia Belle
R. St. Barth
Rhum JM 1997
Rhum JM Gold
Rhum JM VSOP
Rhum JM White
Rum Fire
Samaroli Caribbean Rum 2003
Samaroli Demerara 1995
Samaroli Fiji 2001
Samaroli Yehman Evolution
Santa Teresa 1796
Santa Teresa Araku
Santa Teresa Claro
Santa Teresa Gran Reserva
Santa Teresa Rhum Orange
Santa Teresa Selecto
Siesta Key Gold
Siesta Key Silver
Siesta Key Spiced
SX Calypso
SX Samba
Tiki Lovers Dark
Tiki Lovers White
Trigo Reserva Añjea
Vizcaya Cask 12
Vizcaya Cristal
Vizcaya VXOP Cask 21
Zacapa 23
Zafra 21
Zaya
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of them are threatened. Perhaps our fine posters can point out the few that are owned by the Big Three (not to be confused with the Big Three promoters).

But does profit = support?
Over a few days the massive Miami Rum Renaissance will makes massive profits promoting Caribbean rums. It goes without saying that without Caribbean rums, the Burrs would not be in the rumfest business. It is the height of hypocrisy to take their rums and money for tables, then to make profit on their hard working backs while standing silent at their time of greatest need.

This is a an act which is both self-destructive and harms those rums they purport to celebrate. To celebrate the "renaisance" of Caribbean rum at the exact moment they are threatened with destruction is shameful. I have been told by a very well placed insider that distillers fear distributors who fear the Big Three who control so much of what they sell.

The power of these corporations cannot be underestimated.

The Question...

...is simple. Should the Miami Rum Renaissance be boycotted? I say yes. Any person or entity who purports to be a lover of rum, who reviews rum, who runs a rum or spirits website or who depends on rum for their livelihood has the responsibility to stand up against these inhumane and unneeded subsidies, and to support in all possible ways Caribbean rum and the cultures that will be destroyed with them.

Your take?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The rum festival will be a great way for all of these distillers to introduce their products to the public. Most of these big events are not money makers. They are more break even productions done out of love rather than profit. You have some contacts with some of these distillers. Ask them if they feel like they are being taken advantage of.
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good point raised by Jimbo and an equally level headed and sensible counterpoint by Jankdc.

I see the sense in what Jankdc says and think it is better that the rumfest is not boycotted despite the hypocrisy of the organisers. It gives the public a chance to see Caribbean rums and gives Caribbean rums exposure.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Here's the reality...

And it's vitally important to keep the facts straight.

1. This fest in particular is anything but a labor of love. It has doubled in size almost every year, beginning small (under 1000) to an estimated 15,000 this year. Gross billings are estimated at well over a million dollars (more later) - not bad for a guy who used to do small tastings sponsored by a hotel, and who on one occasion had to rewash the plastic 1/2 oz. tasting glasses in between rounds.

2. Miami Beach events are all about profit and prestige, and there are enough one-percenters to pay the piper. For example this weekend is the annual Miami Food & Wine event, which draws many thousands. It consists of a week of exciting events featuring all the top chefs of television and books. A typical event is $400. Attendees can find it easy to spend thousands of dollars to attend and to meet Rachel Ray, et al. Everybody makes money and lots of it.

3. The Miami Beach rum event is simply a big drinking party attended by those who already like rum, and who like to play in the mecca of supermodels and Ferraris. It's really a distributors event, with a few smaller rums paying dearly in the hopes of getting better distribution, which is heavily influenced by the Big Three (conglomerates).

In this way it's much like the world's leading Miami Book Fair, attended by all the major publishers, and is one big pitch fest. The public pays to get an autograph, but the authors and books are there to get a deal and distribution.

4. From the well moneyed public standpoint, it's really a chance to people watch, and look for the shortest lines to get another 1/2 shot of rum, eat, laugh, people-watch and to ogle the absolutely stunning pourers and get a nice buzz on. Fun in the sun in Miami Beach. Oh and yeah - there's rum there.

Boring. The big distributors are there to showcase and expose new altered product, the little distillers attend to get distribution. Few will succeed. It's where the commercial world of rum gets together to pitch each other. The public participation is peripheral and meaningful primarily for their ticket sales - it's the commercial event, the "prestige" and the quotable "awards" that they seek under the usual rules.

The Reality

Believe me we know. We've attended, once as invited "judges" (what a joke), and were even pitched and briefly associated with The Rum Queen. We've seen the negotiations, how the "fests" are pitched to all, and the tremendous profit they can quickly produce.

I'll never forget the advice the promoter Rum Queen gave Sue Sea: "You can't say anthing negative in this business and succeed". She was referring to how Zacapa had complained to her about a Capn Jimbo review, and urging Sue Sea to distance herself from The Project. The liquor business is full of sharks, pressure, payola and good old-fashioned wheeling and dealing. Sue Sea was shocked and walked.

Example: The Rum Queen's Tampa event was established when she affiliated with a much younger Preacher. It ended in a lawsuit, and the Preacher went on to promote his fests. Later, when Burr was still doing tiny tastings in a hotel's party room he was a regular attendee at the Queen's leading event. She complained that he seemed to be working her tables - and apparently he was - to promote what became his first "Renaissance". Burr was also a close budd of the Preachers and also attended his events (no doubt for a similar reason) which culminated in a blow up in Chicago, wherein Burr later claimed that the Preacher had made outrageous accusations of Burr, and whereupon their long association immediately ended and Burr was "liberated" from the Shillery.

Friends it's an especially cut throat business, filled with circling sharks (and at least one wolf).

Bottom Line...

1. It's not a labor of love.

The profits are massive and fast. It's really for and about the big distillers and the big distributors. A few small distillers attend in the hopes to network and get a deal.

2. The "exposure" of Caribben rums and a dollar will buy you a cuppa joe. It's only a theme, like Pirate Fests.

The public's participation is important almost solely for ticket sales, and and for the attendence figures that later allow claims like "... awarded Quadruple Platinum at the World's largest, biggest, most prestigious, biggest dicked rum festival in the Universe."

For the moneyed Miami Beach crowd (think $25 drinks, cover charges, valet parking, and more silicone than Dupont's warehouse) it's just another fun event for those who kinda sorta like rum to get a good tan, stare at Caribbean cleaveage and to drink as many 1/2 shots as possible in half a day.

About boycotts

At first I resisted da'rums early demands for a boycott of Diageo, as did a number of you. He had to fight to make his point. Why was there resistance? First, not many understood the extent of the issue, and second some really liked some of their better products. And last, because it felt rather impotent to do so.

Boycotts rarely seem to work. For example, da'rum and the others who voted to boycott Diageo realize that these puny efforts will not affect their business much at all. And a boycott of this festival is likewise unlikely to be felt. The lousy economy might, but a boycott won't. The tables will still be there, the sun will be there, the valets and the cleaveage and the thousands of well heeled party hearty attendees will be too. The Caribbean rums will still be just as exposed as if the "boycott" never happened. With or without a boycott...

The "Renaissance" and the exposure of the rums that are about to go out of business will do just fine. Either way. But that's not the point. What is?

The point is simple. Diageo is boycotted - despite any evidence that it has any immediate effect, why? Because it is right. Because it makes a statement. And because it makes people think.

Unfortunately Caribbean rums do not have the luxury of time. When it was the rebates alone, things were (barely) tolerable. The recent massive subsidies put the rebates to shame. Anybody who loves or reviews rum, and especially nny entity that profits on the backs of Caribbean rum has the absolute obligation to speak out and to support their cause. Boycotting a completely commercial rumfest is boycotting major distributors and the Big Three upon who they depend.

Proof? For all the talk, tables and alleged exposure for the small Caribbean rums, where are they? Have you actually looked at the shelves - where 85% of the space and 100% of the prime space is dominated by the Big Three - and that actually excludes these "exposed" rums? The proof is in the pudding: the Caribbean rums are few and getting fewer by the minute.

That's reality.

The point is a moral one. No one gets a pass. To self censor in the useless belief that a few sober attendees might actually later buy a bottle of an unknown and hard to find Caribbean rum is not only self-destructive, but counterproductive. What's needed now is blazing and uncompromising attention to the issue, not wistful self censorship. The festivals and exposure will occur either way, but the voices of resistance will be silenced. By choice?! Never.

As usual - an afterthought!

I understand the Titanic was serving rum and listening to classical music when it sank, which quite naturally exempts the designer and Captain from criticism. What's that you say? They went down with the ship?! Oops, too little, too late for them and for criticism I guess. But a great theme for a festival...
"The Titanic Festival of Rum, Music, Food, Wine, Silicone and Spirits! For a mere $500 you'll meet the who's who of pratically anything as we all go down with the ship. What fun! Drink until you die! Each attendee will get a lovely black, boat necked T-shirt with a colorful 'Rum on the Rock's logo, and stating 'I went down with the ship at the Titanic Festival of Rum and Stuff".
Yeah, that's it!
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ok, here's what I propose.

You set yourself up a short distance from the entry gates and pass our leaflets with a short explanation of the rum crisis and a link to petition and forum.

This is not me being a smart arse, I mean it may be worth your while to do so.

As for boycotting the festival, you've convinced me, I'm not going. ;)

(that was me being a smartarse)

I will say that if the Caribbean rums feel as we do then they should be leading the way with Boycotts and protests. Perhaps you could give their stands a few leaflets? ;). The Lord helps those who helps themselves. Or some such malarky.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

d... Actually a great idea on both counts, thanks.

First the Good
:

Two more internationally known signatories. First, spirits journalist Rene van Hoven, author of "Rum, Yesterday and Today" and second, the well known Carl Kanto, Operations Coordinator and spokesman for DDL (El Dorado) - DDL, Chemist and Distiller, and occasional rum judge.

The Bad:

After repeated attempts the Burr's (Rum Renaissance) have avoided any active or public support of the petition or the issue, short of a lone re-tweet. Instead they have decided to simply stand by, and "to stay neutral" while the Caribbean burns. It is clear that the tremendous influence the Big Three (conglomerates) has silenced the Big Three promoters. They clearly are willing to sacrifice the Caribbean for short term massive profits of their own.

The truth: we didn't expect much from these totally commercial promoters, and our expectations were fully realized. Robin Burr friended but apparently on reflection actually de-friended Save Caribbean Rum. A e-slap in the face. Boy that e-stings, lol.

Oddly enough many of Burr's own "RumXP" expert panel have signed the petition, including Renee van Heuvel, Forrest Cokely, Beachbum Berry, Matt Robold (the Rum Dood), Tiare (A Mountain of Crushed Ice) and not least Dave Broom. XP expert Luis Ayala wrote to express support, and author Wayne Curtis ("And a Bottle of Rum") has publicized the issue.

At this point there are only a few holdouts who are notable for their glaring absence: the Artic Wolf and the Rum Renaissance. I will assume the other rumfest promoters will likewise submit to Big Three political and financial pressure.

And The Ugly:

The ugly truth is that Caribbean distillers cannot expect mercy from the USVI, Diageo and/or Fortune, nor should they expect public support from the promoters of rumfests who gross literally millions on the backs of Caribbean rums, but are unwilling to stand up for them in their time of need. Apparently they have chosen sides as they seem greatly dependent on the Big Three and their incredible power over distribution and the trade media. Even many Caribbean distillers fear loss of distribution and of bulk rum sales (read blackmail) to Diageo.

But the people - and a growing number of spirits leaders - have spoken out. Apart from signing the petition, we can spread the word, post widely, and use all the social networking tools at our disposal. All who profess to love Caribbean rum - afficianados, rum reviewers, spirit writers, rum site webmasters and especially those promoters who profit greatly from them - have the absolute responsibility to stand up, and speak out honestly and truthfully in support of the issue and it's voice, the petition.

No one gets a pass. The destroyers - the USVI, Diageo and Bacardi - and those who submit to them, especially the promoters who deny support for the Caribbean distillers, who ignore the issue, who knowingly stand aside - silent - and who fail to use their power and following to publicize the issue and/or the petiition are all - one and the same - part of the same problem.

The most powerful tool in the end is the power or the purse. We can all boycott the USVI, Diageo, Fortune and the promoters who submit to them.