Rum Review: Pyrat Superior Blanco Rum

Is Ron Zacapa a fad? Is Zaya, Angostura 1919 or Pyrat XO? How bout Diplomatico? There's a modern marketing trend afoot and it's toward rum as liqueur. Sweet and easy to sell, er, drink. Here's to Richard Seale, may he never see this section!

How do you rate Pyrat Superior Blanco Rum for sipping (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Pyrat Superior Blanco Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pyrat Superior Blanco Rum: "Grapefruit Licorice"

On our recent trip to the Florida Keys we discovered the amazing Pirate's Choice Molasses Reef Rum. On that very same trip we stopped at the Cracked Conch in Marathon for, what else, some conch fritters. Like most bars everywhere the rum selection was limited to Bacardi but I did happen to spot bottles of Gosling's Gold and the Pyrat Superior Blanco.

Since the latter was something I was unlikely to buy, I ordered a shot neat in a small brandy snifter and Sue Sea and I did an informal tasting right then and there, and recorded our findings on a bar napkin - which, of course, has disappeared. Accordingly this faux review from memory is from the both of us...

Beware.

Sue Sea and Me:
As with the other Pyrats we've tried - XO and Pistol - this clouded glass bottle is decorated with the usual Pyrat orange ribbon. This is either very clever or very gay (in the classic sense, or maybe not). No real rum drinker would be caught dead with an orange ribbon. OTOH, it does prepare you for the near lethal doses of orange flavor saturating the Pyrat XO, et al.

The Pyrat Blanco is actually quite different and rather pleasant for a white. It's aroma is crisp and refreshing, of licorice and anise, bit of background vanilla and with an elusive high citrus tone - one we've never found in any other unflavored rum...

Grapefruit.

What a nice surprise! The licorice and anise carried into the taste, which led to a smooth and smooth, lightly peppery finish with no cloying aftertaste. Pyrat Superior Blanco is quite sippable and should make an interesting mixer as well. It is extremely smooth and light. Sue Sea felt this rum would make a very nice light, crisp summer sipper, perfect for a picnic.

Pricewise, I've seen Blanco from about $5 on closeout to around $15. There appears to be some debate about whether this rum has been discontinued - if you have any interest don't hesitate to buy this interesting and pleasant rum.
Rating for sipping (10 is best): 6.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.