Rum Review: Ron Botran 12 Year Solera Rum

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!

How do you rate Ron Botran 12 Year Solera Rum (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Ron Botran 12 Year Solera Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ron Botran 12 Year Solera Rum: "Spicy Honey"

One of the earlier additions to my collection was Ron Botran Solera 1893 - well reviewed, absolutely beautiful bottle and presentation and an obvious must try. Not long after I became interested in younger versions of a rum that were preferred to the older. Examples of this are Barbancourt Five Star (over the 15 year), El Dorado 12 Year (considered equal to the 15) and Ron del Barrilito Two Star over the Three Star. And so it goes.

Naturally, when I found the Botran 12 Year for a mere $14 (compared to the Solera 1893, over $30) and especially having found a few scattered positive reviews I simply had to buy and try it. Sue Sea and I set up an unusual flight - the 12 year, the 1893 and Pusser's Blue Label. Don't ask me why, after all do you question Picasso's color choices?

Of course not. The reviews:

Sue Sea:
I've long loved the Botran 1893 bottle and rum, both very beautiful. Botran 12 Year comes in more classic round and slightly tapered, short necked bottle with a quietly elegant label and molded in shield. A nice quiet presence on your shelves. Botran 12's early aroma was of cork and a little oak - pungent, and perhaps a bit of reedy bamboo. The aroma develops with clove, light allspice and a honey. The taste is consistent - very smooth - a "taste of honey" and a bit of pecan with a late astringency. The finish was medium/long, peppery and warm and left a very light cigar box aftertaste. Not enough to want to clear your palate, but enough to tempt you to sip again. Very nice. The honey I speak of was carried through in a light and delicate fashion, very pleasant.
Me:

Sue Sea and I are in accord on Ron Botran 12 Year Solera Blend though, as sometimes happens we are affected in differing order and focus. Botran 12 Year is a clear light amber, with a light olive rim. In the case of this rum my first aromas were lightly spicy and peppery, over a background of leather and a deep honey. I wanted to call the aroma "warm", if that makes sense to you. It did to me. Its taste is smooth and consistent - spicy oak with a late astringency. Like Sue Sea I found the finish medium-long, warming and lightly peppery. We agree on the aftertaste. Very nice.

It's important to keep in mind the substantial price difference between the Botran 12 and the Botran Solera 1893. For the price of a mixer, the Botran 12 Year is a great value for a very pleasant sipper. Botran's Solera method adds complexity deserving of a much more expensive rum. Let's call it a best buy.

Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 6.5, Jimbo - 7.
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

Picked up a bottle of Botran Reserva. Is this the same rum? It has a card on the neck that says it a blend of 5 to 14 yo rums. Not bad for $18.00.
DEF
Cabin Boy

Post by DEF »

The reserva is not the same as the solara. Did a side by side and the solara is definitely a notch above the reserva. Enjoyed them both though.