With all this talk of Absinthe

Rum drinks, rumcake, hot buttered rum, rum glazed ribs, Bermudan rum chowder, rum balls and bollocks. This be the place and it's all good. To the cook! Eat, drink and be Mary!
da'rum
Minor God

With all this talk of Absinthe

Post by da'rum »

I decided to follow Ralfy's example and drop a tea spoon of Absinthe in a dram of rum.

I used Appleton's 12 and Sauvage 1804 Absinthe.

Now this is a pretty expensive Absinthe and there aren't many better made Absinthes than Sauvage. Edit, I meant to add here that expensive Absinthe would obviously not be necessary but a good quality one would have it's advantages.

One tea spoon of Sauvage into a 30 ml dram of rum.

The result is extraordinary and impressive. A delicious mix of aromas and flavours.

This won't be the last time I enjoy this combination.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Absinthe rum 2.0......Absirum©™

One dram Smith and Cross (30ml)
Water to 43%
1/2 teaspoon absinthe or to taste

It's a party in your mouth. ImageImage

I dare you to stop at one dram.

The two drinks combine fabulously, the fruity esters and slight sweetness of the rum mixed with the floral aroma of the Absinthe. The rum elongates the finish of the Absinthe and the result is a smooth sipping cocktail of excellent quality.
in goes your eye out
mule1rider
Oscar

Post by mule1rider »

Don Beach used a couple of drops of Absinthe in many of his classic rum drinks. I made mine with over proof vodka and Absinthe essence ordered from ebay.
"I don't want to swim in a roped off sea." JB
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

mule1rider wrote:Don Beach used a couple of drops of Absinthe in many of his classic rum drinks.
Really? I didn't know that. Hemingway mixed Absinthe with iced Champaign and called it a 'death in the afternoon' I wouldn't be surprised if he also mixed it with rum. Both liquors being around now for a few years I'm sure I'm not inventing the wheel.
mule1rider wrote: I made mine with over proof vodka and Absinthe essence ordered from ebay.
:shock: How did you find that compared with properly made Absinthe?

I've had a couple of essence mixes and macerate mixes and they were pretty horrible. They aren't really Absinthe just like Rum essence isn't rum. Nothing like it really.
in goes your eye out
mule1rider
Oscar

Post by mule1rider »

I've never drank "properly made." My home brew works great in the rum drinks that call for pernod. Here is Don Beach's original 1943 zombie as decoded by Beach Bum Berry.

Zombie Punch - Don’s original 1934 Recipe

¾ oz fresh Lime Juice
½ oz Don's Mix
½ oz Falernum
1 ½ oz gold Puerto Rican rum (I sub Aged Cruzen)
1 ½ oz Jamaican rum I use Appleton’s Estate VX
1 oz 151 Rum (lemon hart) which is unavailable here so I sub Bacardi
1 dash Angostura Bitters
6 drops absinthe
¼ oz Grenadine
¾ cup crushed ice
Note: the rums are substitutes for Don’s original recipe. Put everything into a blender, saving ice for last. Blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds. Pour into a chimney glass and fill with ice. Garnish with fresh mint. Don's Mix 2 parts Grapefruit Juice, 1 part Cinnamon Syrup.

By the way I'm heading to the Keys this fall. I need a store that sales lemon hart 151. Finally, I prefer an altered version of Don's recipe for my zombies.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice one, when I have access to all those ingredients I'll keep it in mind.

If you come across 'properly made' or authentic Absinthe I urge you to give it a try. I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised and notice a vast difference in taste and quality between the Authentic and Essence type mix's.
in goes your eye out