Rum Review: Pusser's Blue Label British Navy Rum

Now's here's the real stuff - traditional, cleans your socks on the way down. Unlike the Royal Navy, the pirates drank while eating, sailing and fighting - the first multitaskers. Here's to Port Royal, the Port of Orgies! Say it loud and say it plowed!

How do you rate Pusser's Blue Label Rum (five is best)?

No votes
75%
No votes
25%
No votes

Total votes: 4

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Pusser's Blue Label British Navy Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pusser's Blue Label British Navy Rum: "Up Spirits"

If you don't know already, Pusser's Blue Label is the commercial version of the rum served to British sailors for over 330 years, dating from 1640 until July 31, 1970 (Black Tot Day) when the daily tot was retired. Originally sailors received a pint of this strong brew, which was later diluted and reduced. This rum was the father of "grog".

Neither the formula nor the rum was ever made available to the public. In 1979 a sailor/entrepreneur, Charles Tobias finally reached an agreement to produce what became known as Pusser's Blue Label in strict accord with the secret British formula. He agreed to keep the blend secret and to make donations to The Royal Navy Sailor's Fund, and is currently the largest single contributor. What we do know about the "secret" formula is that the British Navy Rum (and Pussers) was/is made from five West Indian pot stilled rums with absolutely no additives (found in many other modern rums). Allegedly these are distilled from the few remaining wood stills in the world.

I have some information that the original blender (the Man Company) used rums from Trinidad and Demarara, along with a bit of caramel and burnt sugar coloring. The current Pusser's is based on the secret British Royal Navy formula which is largely Guyanese, with Trinidad a substantial second and three other West Indian rums in much lesser quantitites.

Whatever the formula, this a powerful, full-bodied, no nonsense rum. In your readings you will find that most reviews are fairly disrepectful of Pusser's Blue as being little more than a slightly overproof mixer. Exception: Bilgemonkey, who loves a real, kick ass rum.

It is well to remember that it was the Brits in Barbados who fathered rum, and whose thirsty sailors demanded a fine, robust product worthy of hard working sailors and officers. Pussers is still made to the exacting specifications first created in 1810. More later, but enough for now, the reviews:

Sue Sea:
My first taste of Pusser's Blue Label was at the annual kayak races in Key Largo, attended by both local and international racers. Pusser's was a sponsor and gave out free Pusser's "Painkiller's", yumm! We were feeling no pain then I will tell you. I enjoy the history and tradition of rum - Jim is mad for it - and Pusser's history is very meaningful. It gives us a rare opportunity to taste real, classic rum from one of the few (if any) formulas kept intact. By tasting the old standards we can better appreciate the new.

I will say that Pusser's was hard to nail down. When I first nosed it I got a hint of higher citrus - tangerine or orange against a pungent background of light clove, and what I can only describe as a vinegary light diesel with a kind of celery sourness. Jim and I really wrestled with this one, then finally consulted our tasting wheels and decided to pull out his ginger rum tester. Aha! Darn if it wasn't ginger. All I can tell you that ginger in rum has an aroma of its own! I also noted a smokey, cigar box aroma. With reflection I find a high, very light vanilla caramel. Blue Label's explosive taste was of light clove, pungent dried apricot and alcohol, and developed with growing warmth. Whoa! The finish was strong, short and warm, no make that a hot peppery clove that warmed my throat and chest.

Pusser's Blue Label is a very lively, robust and consistent Jamaican style rum. It would be perfect after a good meal, perhaps with a cigar, much like Metaxa or a good cognac.

Me:

Pusser's Blue Label is a clear medium amber with nice, thick no nonsense legs. Remember this rum can be of slightly higher alcohol, my bottle is 42%. It needs to breathe and should be approached cautiously to obtain the high nose sweet citrus (possibly orange). I went deeper and got what I can only describe as a hard to define background of a vinegary, camphor, tarlike or leather aroma. The entry taste was of orange then became consistent with the aroma, medicinal, very much like chewing on a piece of leather hide. Mind you, I don't mean this in bad way, but for those of who who haven't graduated from the modern, sweet liqueur-like rums, your attention please! Blue Label's finish is a peppery, bright and chest warming.

Afternote: I do agree with Sue Sea re ginger. The background was hard to pinpoint and is certainly pungent and distinctive. My ginger rum tester was a reasonable match. Dave Broom also picks up prune, which I too got on a later tasting. He also states that adding a bit of water brings out additional sweetness and some leather - agreed. I do recommend that you stick with this rum for a few days, as it will grow on you (and I may have to raise my current rating, below).

A real rum for real men. FWIW, Blue Label has earned several gold medals in the dark rum class. Something to think about. In closing, please don't be misled by our ratings. Although Blue Label is not cheap, it is absolutely worth having as one of the few remaining unchanged formulas in rum. Personally, I believe owning and understanding this well made classic rum is essential both for a historical perspective and as a reference standard of its own.

Not to mention in "Painkillers". Pusser's is an acquired taste, one that will grow on you. I have been through several bottles of Blue Label, and would never be without one.

Rating as a sipper (10 is best): 8.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

What a man!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What a man!

We recently decided to take a ride down to Key Largo where we had the distinct pleasure to meet Jamie Jackson of Pussers. Jamie happens also to be a kayaker and frequents one of our favorite dumps, er bars in good old Key Largo.

Namely the Caribbean Club, the alleged site of the famous classic movie, Key Largo. It's a great bar, down to earth where you can buy great drinks at fair prices, watch the parrots, pet the dogs that are allowed and watch drunken boaters try to launch and load.

It's a hoot and we love it.

Anyway we spent a couple great hours with Jamie, learning some of the great history behind Pussers, Tobias, the company's trials and tribulations and its ressurrection and current great success via the efforts of Jamie's father and, of course, of Jamie. Lots of interesting factoids which must remain off the record.

Sorry.

But now we know the real formula of Pusser's amazing rum. And you don't, lol! And let it be said that Jamie is a true, down to earth gentleman - our time together was truly enjoyable. And if we don't see him again before this fall, we will at an upcoming Key Largo to Key West kayak paddling trip for the benefit of veterans.

Details to follow. Of the kayak trip - not the formula...
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

I've always been a fan of Goslings Black Seal, as the basis of really tasty rum-and-cokes, and even find it tolerable as a sipper. And it's older brother is one of the best rums ever, in my opinion.

Every time I see Pusser's on the shelves, I have been tempted, but always seem to find something else sexier to grab.

Thanks to your informative review and recommendation, I will definitely pick up the Pusser's next time.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I tried the 15 yr old a few days ago at a whiskey bar and loved it - picked up a bottle of this yesterday and I might actually like it better, not as smooth but I think it might be more flavorful and interesting. I guess this makes sense since my taste in Scotch runs towards the most strongly flavored peat monsters, with Ardbeg 10 yr old being my favorite so far (haven't opened my Lagavulin 16 yet, just got it yesterday, but I suspect will be my new #1)

I have had several strong-tasting dark and spiced rums - Myers, Black Seal, Kraken, Cruzan Blackstrap - I would have to say this is not only the strongest but perhaps the most drinkable (next to the 15 yr old version) - dangerously so, finishing one glass leaves me wanting more, unlike the Islay Scotches where my palate can only take so much beating.
RT
Quartermaster

Post by RT »

Finally picked up the Pussers, and it is everything its' reputation claims. The flavors are intense and varied, owing to the use of wooden pot stills (they claim it is the only rum still made that way). My preference is neat, slightly chilled as their hang card recommends. Every sip will put a smile on your face and give you a warm feeling all over. Their grog recipe is also a winner, when you want something cold and refreshing. Now that I have it, I will definitely keep it in stock. Your 8 rating is low, IMHO.
Students of the cask, reject naught but water. -Charles Gonoud, Faust Act 2
Capn Jimbo

Right you are...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Our ratings questioned?

Actually, right you are. This was one of our earlier reviews, back when we, like so many common rum drinkers, found ourselves misled by the unlabeled sweetening and alteration of product "rum".

With those experiences in mind, Pussers can indeed challenge the novice palate. Even so, Pussers received what for us is a high rating: "8" of 10 points. And over time, Pussers went on to become one of our most prized rums, along with Mount Gay Extra Old, Seales Ten and a handful of others.

It's funny that you challenge this ratings as "low", because you are right. It was just a few weeks ago that Sue Sea - pouring a dram of Pussers - said, the more I drink this the more I feel like giving it a ten.

It's surely a "9", but that won't become official until we re-review it one day. Any minute now, lol...

Note to Yank: It's interesting indeed that you find the Pusser's just as, if not more drinkable than the short list of dark and spiced rums you named (Myers, Black Seal, Kraken, Cruzan Blackstrap). I do agree. Except for Kraken, the dark rums seem to find their way into mixed drinks, while the Kraken wends its way to the water purification plant.
gjbagwell
Landlubber

Pusser's Blue Thoughts

Post by gjbagwell »

I am fascinated by this rum.

The first time we tasted it my wife and I began with the nose and almost stopped right there. "It smells like a fraternity house the morning after a party" said she! It is a deception. The rum itself is very good, but it took me a while to put a finger on what I thought I was tasting - SALT WATER AND CANNON SMOKE.

I was in the US Navy. I don't know if my thoughts on this rum are correct but they make perfect sense to me. If your standard issue rum reminds you of the smells and tastes and feel of battle - then, psychologically, the time for battle becomes seamless with the party/celebration/ or whatever you want to call it. In other words, in drinking this you are right back into the feel of the battle or the celebration and the two become somewhat indistinguishable in a dream-like sort of way.

This alone is enough to keep me coming back to this wonderful rum time and again. I have now tried the red label too and it is a prized special treat for a few special friends.

Cheers!

Capn's Log: A brilliant observation! When Sue Sea first tasted this rum, she too had a moment of surprise, then finally decided it reminded her of the sea, and of the oakum used to pack the seams of wooden ships. You see, she had once actually lived in an actual log cabin and well remembers the aroma of tarred oakum.
-Bagwell
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Now I've only drunk Pusser's on two occasions so have not given this rum a good go yet. Now I can't say I dislike it but, can't say I love it either. If I had a bottle on my shelf it would probably be the longest lasting rum of my current stock.

Just wondering how much water would be added to the 54% to reduce it to 42% in a 50ml (roughly 2oz) shot I may find this a bit more palatable.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Dai wrote:.

Just wondering how much water would be added to the 54% to reduce it to 42% in a 50ml (roughly 2oz) shot I may find this a bit more palatable.
http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute

A handy widget for you Dai.

If you don't like Pusser's then you will be burnt at the stake...just sayin', no pressure. ;)
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:
Dai wrote:.

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/dilute

A handy widget for you Dai.

If you don't like Pusser's then you will be burnt at the stake...just sayin', no pressure. ;)
I'd better get a taste for it quick then Britain has a history of burning people at the stake.

British/European measures:
50ml Pusser's rum to 15ml of water should dilute it to 40/42% according to the site from the link.

rum-conversion by Dai7261, on Flickr

Nearest spirit measure I can find is a 15/30ml
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jigger-Spirit-M ... +15%2F30ml

Or just use an American measuring cup

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barcraft-Stainl ... it+measure

Just to be even more pedantic the water is 25% of the amount of rum.
Last edited by Dai on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Fiddle around with that mate, I prefer my spirits at about 44% and I think it was NC or Bearmark that like to dilute it to 38% or so. It's all in how your taste buds function.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Fiddle around with that mate, I prefer my spirits at about 44% and I think it was NC or Bearmark that like to dilute it to 38% or so. It's all in how your taste buds function.
Will do but, my thinking was that if 42% is ok or better for me then just buy the red label bottle. That's if I can find it in the UK.

There's madness in my method somewhere

NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

da'rum wrote:Fiddle around with that mate, I prefer my spirits at about 44% and I think it was NC or Bearmark that like to dilute it to 38% or so. It's all in how your taste buds function.
I don't generally dilute anthing but overproofs, but I might have mentioned at some point that a regular on chowhound who is a distiller and industry consultant likes to dilute to 60 proof as he feels that is where he can best pick up all the nuances.
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Recently had a chance to sample some generous pours of the Blue Label on three successive nights. I came away impressed. It's damn good Rum and at a fair price - SWEET! Loved the nose, it made me want to crawl into the glass. Then the flavors kept the promises the nose made and thats a rare thing.

Can't believe I missed this one for so long. Thanks for the heads up guys. (and Sue)
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

That's not me either. I only dilute during tasting or for over-proofs (as a result of previous tasting). I typically settle in between 80-90 proof. I do tend to favor over-proofs because of the flexibility in flavor profile that they offer by using different dilutions. This is more for whiskey than rum though. I've only had a couple of over-proof rums... Wray & Nephew (definitely diluted), The Scarlet Ibis (enjoyed undiluted). Some of my favorite over-proof whiskeys are: Aberlour A'Bunadh, Willett Single Barrel Bourbon, Willet Single Barrel Rye, Balcones True Blue and Balcones 1 Texas Single Malt. I have several others that I haven't yet cracked open, including a Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye and a William Larue Weller Bourbon... both at about 130 proof. The George T. Stagg Bourbon is in my sights as well.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)