What's in the pot - 3/27

Coffee, cigars and rum go togther like priests and choirboys. Indeed the brothers are known to have a tipple now and then. Oh and some rum, cigars and Belgian beer as well, lol...
sleepy
King of Koffee

What's in the pot - 3/27

Post by sleepy »

I thought I'd episodically report what coffees I'm currently drinking. I normally have from 6-10 varieties on hand and every week or so roast a batch of three 1 pound lots of different beans (=~12-14 oz. roasted). Any blending that I do is of roasted beans.

This week, I have three that I really like:

Costa Rica, Caturra region, roasted very light (City). This has a classic CR profile - light and bright. It has excellent light acidity, delicate floral notes and, as it cools, an emerging hint of milk chocolate like a light dusting of sweetened cocoa mix, perhaps.

Rwanda Cocatu, medium (full city) roast. This was my first taste of Rwandan coffee, I had foolishly expected it to be a weak cousin to my favored Kenyans - WRONG!!!! The Kenyan coffees are usually well-balanced, moderate bodied coffees with a rich acidity. This coffee has so much body, it wants to pick up the cup and strut down the table looking for something to kick the shit out of. Yet, it is not an unbalanced cup; the deep jungle tones shading into dark chocolate on the low end are nicely balanced by a bit of island spice and rich florals, topped by a modest acidity. I don't remember ever having a coffee this rich that had this clean a flavor profile - no old boot, no fungal funk. I love it - and it makes an outstanding Single Origin espresso.

Finally, Java Muytang, darkish (Full City+) roast. Again, this coffee was a bit of a surprise when I first roasted it. Most Pacific island coffees tend to be rich, heavy, brooding, and often, funky. Even at a moderately dark roast, this coffee presents as a somewhat bright, well-balanced cup in the manner of a good Colombian, but there is no mistaking the Pacific origin. It also blends well with this season's heavier, more aggressive North African beans.

More next time...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Cup this...

Sleepy, thanks for the post especially knowing how busy you are. The Rwandan sounds very interesting, sounds like the Pusser's Navy Rum of coffees.

From Sweet Maria's? You seem to recommend it for an expresso, but how about for just a standard drip? Tx...
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

Unless otherwise specified, all of my coffee comes from Sweet Marias. If you compare my notes to Tom Owen's, there will be plenty of differences, but, having read his for years, I know pretty much exactly what to expect from each lot he sells and purchase accordingly.

The Rwanda makes excellent drip - it may be a bit muddy in the press, I haven't tried yet. It just also makes a great espesso!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Time to get serious...

There's little doubt that - thanks to Sleepy - that we got off on the right foot. For me it worked well to buy 5 pounds of a coffee I knew well - Columbia Supremo - and to experiement with the two basic roasting methods available to me: the used air popper and the Whirley-Pop.

Mistakes were made, and I learned how much coffee made a good batch and learned how each machine worked. I was able to determine roast levels and how to achieve them reliably. I learned how to blend using light, medium and heavy roasts for more complexity. But most important I learned how easy, fun and rewarding home roasting is.

I'll never again buy commercial coffee.

The next step - now that roasting is understood - is now to try different coffees from different countries
. Sleepy, you are so right about Maria's - who has an 8 - coffee, one pound each sample pack that as they say "...includes a coffee from every coffee growing continent, and a range of processes.". Best yet - works out to just over $6/pound!

Sleepy, thanks again. There is nothing like an exquisite cuppa joe in the am...