El Dorado Shoot Out: by Dai

Subtle, soft and medium bodied rums originating in Guyana and that define the fourth major standard style. To our sweethearts and wives, may they never meet!
Dai
Minor God

El Dorado Shoot Out: by Dai

Post by Dai »

My daughter bought me a gift pack of El Dorado Rum last week so today I tried all three of them. Now the 12 and 15 I have a bottle of each so not much of a suprise with these two but the 21 I had never tried . So the big question is how different is the 21 to the other two.

21:
very fruit in an el dorado way yes very rich fruit taste. A bit less of a burnt oak taste than the 15. To be honest based on this one sample not sure if the 21 is worth buying at nearly twice the price of the 15 for such a similar tasting rum. Compared to the 15 the 21 is more like the 12 in fruitiness with a burned oak taste that the 12 has not got.

15:
The 15 has a bit more of a subdued taste compared to the 21 the burned oak is more prominent heavier on the taste buds. Not a lot in it to be honest except about £40 for the 21. If I had to advise anyone spending hard earned I'd have to say go with the 15 before the 21 both rums taste similar, I'd say the 21 is a 15 with more fruit and less burned oak.

12:
Out of all three I'd have to say my favourite is the 12 Sweet fruity in a demerara way I'm a non smoker so the lack of burned oak is better for me than either the 15 or 21. Even if money was no object I'd still go for the 12 over the other two. Just suits my palate better.

These are my thoughts on these rums sorry to disappoint you if my descriptions are not more descriptive but I only seem to pick up the big or prominent flavours in rum.
Last edited by Dai on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice mate, good to see your thoughts. Even if I don't completely agree with the profile descriptions of the 15 and 21.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Nice mate, good to see your thoughts. Even if I don't completely agree with the profile descriptions of the 15 and 21.

Cheers
That's what makes us all different, The palate can be a weird thing. Enjoyed all three rums but given the choice mine is the 12.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition