Rum Review: Saint James Rhum Ambre Rum

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!

How do you rate St James Ambre Rum (5 is best)?

33%
No votes
67%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: Saint James Rhum Ambre Rum

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Saint James Rhum Ambre Rum: "Rice Mat"

Reviewed by Sue Sea:
Saint James was not like any of the other molasses based rums I've tasted. The aroma delivered an earthy, ricey, grainy cane with alcohol overtones. The taste reflected the aroma but opened up a bit of anise, clove, cork and a light woody bamboo flavor. Mostly grassey with a very slight hint of smooth butterscotch. It had a lingering warm finish. I think this was an interesting rum mostly because of its unique grassy taste. Believe it or not, I think this would complement Asian food beautifully.

Me:

Sue Sea has a better nose than I but we usually agree on general impressions. We often come up with a name for a rum (or rhum in this case): we call Rhum Amber "Rice Mat". Like when you shop at Pier One. Some of the other adjectives we found that fit include hay/straw, cane and cork.

I found the main aromatic element medicinal or resiny, bordering on smoky or even slightly musty - not the least bit sweet. It is not an attractive aroma - more like your mother advising you "...don't make a face, just take your medicine and you'll feel a lot better".

I found the aroma, taste and finish entirely consistent and equally pungent. Ambre is indeed amber in color. Light warm body. The finish is slightly peppery, long and warm. There is no doubt this rum is NOT molasses based. This review in no way is intended to turn anyone off - Rhum Ambre is generally very well regarded - but it is very different.

Rating (10 is best): 6

Note: Be sure to compare to Saint James Extra Old, review this section.
tpbenn
Landlubber

St James Ambre

Post by tpbenn »

I am handing out bottles of this rum to friends and ending their addiction to vodka, tequila, and god help us all, Jack Daniels. I love this rum.
I like eggs