St Maarten finds

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!
sailor22
Quartermaster

St Maarten finds

Post by sailor22 »

A recent short visit to St. Maarten turned up some interesting bottles;

Clement Single Cask, Tres Vieux Rhum Agricole, Non Filtre, 100% cane bleue, Cask #20070062, Distilled September 2002 and bottled June 27th 2011. 47.1%. Used Bourbon Barrel, 570 bottles total and I managed to get bottle #314, 315 and 436. Cellar Master; R. Peronet-- The back label reads (I translated from French) Distilled only from our best variety of sugar cane. This blue cane rum aged exception patiently for eight years before being selects by our cellar master ---- Review to follow.

Also picked up a Damoiseau Rhum Vieux 8yr Rum - not a lot of info on the label, just says it was distilled in 2002 and aged in oak barrels and bottled at the distillery. Guadeloupe. I have tasted this one and thought it was exceptionally well balanced in the style of an XO Cognac. I'll revisit in the next few days and do a complete review.

Actually held a bottle of Clement single cask distilled in 1954 and bottled in 20011. Couldn't justify the $1,800 Euro asking price.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Interesting....

...to say the least! Cane juice rums this old are few and far between, as - except for Barbancourt - most are not really aged very long, and especially at any reasonable price. A great 12 year old molasses rum can be had for about $30 here.

We really look forward to your reviews...
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

Another visit to St Marten and another Rum bonanza;

St James 15year and vintage 2001
Beille vintage 2007 barrel proof
Bielle 40th anniversary special release barrel proof
HSE XO
Depaz Curvee Prestige
J. Bally Heritage special edition
and just for fun J Bally orange Shrubb

Left lots of interesting bottles on the shelf