Rum Review: El Dorado Golden Rum Cream

Are these real rums? Is a chocolate flavored Bistec de Palomilla a steak? Maybe. Some are of lower proof. Some use real flavoring. And as for some, may we never drink worse than this!

How do you rate El Dorado Golden Rum Cream (five is best)?

No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum Review: El Dorado Golden Rum Cream

Post by Capn Jimbo »

El Dorado Golden Rum Cream: "Just another Bailey's"

You're about to enjoy a short series of reviews of spiced and dessert rums. Actually we've had these around for awhile, but there are so many rums, so little time.

Dorado's Golden Rum Cream is produced by a company whose rums constitue one of Dave Broom's (and my) basic styles - Demeraran Style rums. A section is devoted to this style - soft and medium-bodied. I also have to admit that I've been nipping at this bottle on more than a few nights for a pleasant neat nightcap.

Enough. Because of relatively uncomplicated nature, our review is a combined one summarizing our tasting and discussion...

Sue Sea and Me:
El Dorado comes in a lovely, especially squat, wide and long-necked bottle with the usual classic label featuring El Dorado's sailing ships; I found it at $19. Very pretty. The rum pours like any cream liqueur and we decided to taste it straight up, no ice (after all, creams must be kept in the fridge. At 16% alcohol there is a lot of heart clogging cream to deal with.

But deal with it we did. El Dorado's Rum Cream aroma is of almond and vanilla and, of course, cream. Pleasant and light. The taste is entirely consistent and creamy as well. As we both noted, it would be really hard to distinguish this rum from Bailey's Irish Cream or a number of other such concoctions. Speaking of which, like all cream liqueurs, does well with some ice or as a component.There is no real finish to speak of, and the El Dorado leaves a creamy aftertaste that may cause some to reach for the icewater.
Now let's face it. With so much cream in the mix it's understandable that most rums would find it difficult to distinguish themselves, and the El Dorado is no exception.

It's pleasant, it's delicious, it's unremarkable. Keep refrigerated and remember it has a shelf life.

Rating (10 is best): Sue Sea - 6, Jimbo - 5.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat May 22, 2010 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pyrate Surgeon
Cabin Boy

Creamed Rums

Post by Pyrate Surgeon »

...so, you're telling me that essentially, I live on the wrong coast, is that it?? :cry:
The Rhum comes After the surgery, mate!