Clement Single Cask

The third standard reference style: rum, er rhum, made directly from sugar cane juice or honey, rather than from molasses. To the Haitians and French... toast!
sailor22
Quartermaster

Clement Single Cask

Post by sailor22 »

I found a few bottles of this on a table in a Wine shop in St Maarten. It is apparently available in Europe but not in the US. It's in a handsome 500ml bottle, which would account for the high bottle count listed below.

The label, partially hand written, reads;

Clement Single Cask, Tres Vieux Rhum Agricole, Non Filtre, 100% cane bleue, Cask #20070062, Distilled September 2002 and bottled June 27th 2011. 47.1%. Used Bourbon Barrel, 570 bottles. Cellar Master; R. Peronet

The back label reads (I translated from French) Distilled only from our best variety of sugar cane. This blue cane rum aged exception patiently for eight years before being selects by our cellar master.

Dark brown/red with golden highlights in the glass.

The nose is initially earthy with a sharpness that fades with air time revealing very pleasantly complex grassy bitter chocolate and grape notes. Complex, evolving and entertaining the way a rustic aged Cognac is. Much more like a Brandy than a Rum.

Light and slightly sweet on entry it quickly moves to a hugely spicy mid palate that reveals black pepper and bitter astringent wood in large doses. As it transitions to the very long finish the spice holds station digging into the top of the tung while some subtle and delightful Rum sweetness begins to emerge along with more woody dryness. The flavors play very well together with a lingering interplay that eventually leaves a subtle sweetness that never completely overcomes the dryness.

Each sip is so entertaining and the finish so long you won't find yourself hurrying through a pour. Lots of wood and barrel showing in this one, it almost overpowers the subtle sweetness but not quite. Someone had the good judgement to get this out of the barrel just at the right time, and not a moment too soon.

This is a complex and balanced spirit that has little in common with what I think of as Rum. Spicier and dryer than expected it pleases my cigar smoking friends very much, and me too.
RobBosman87
Greaser

Post by RobBosman87 »

I've ordered one of the Clement Single Cask bottles too.
The one I got is called Moka intense, you can find some info about it on:

http://www.lacompagniedurhum.com/m/clem ... LEM_44.cfm

Also ordered the armanagac finish from their sister brand Rhum JM:

http://thefloatingrumshack.com/content/ ... collection

Did anyone here get a chance to try this one yet?

Unfortunately I won't get these bottles until August, but am quite looking forward to trying these rums.
Cheers,

Rob