Best of the Best and...Dept: According to F. Paul Pacult

Great tasters note that one way to better your understanding of a spirit is to try others. We've already tried calvados, cognac, armangnac, tequila, whisky and gin. Here's some of the more unusual spirits and drinks. Mead me halfway on this, woncha?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Best of the Best and...Dept: According to F. Paul Pacult

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Best of the best, and the also rans...

Make no mistake, F. Paul Pacult is a reviewer worth reading. Those of us who are serious simply have to buy and refer to his "Kindred Spirits 2", with over 2,400 collected reviews. He has no bias toward alleged "premiums" or for high cost, and his scores fall into a credible normal distribution. This book is an education is tasting and techniques as well. It closes with his 111 best spirits in the world, from which this list is drawn...

F. Paul's Best Liqueurs

#17: Cointreau (France), $32
#27 St. Germain Liqueur Artisanale (Fr), $33
#42 Gran Marnier Cuvee du Centenair (Fr), $100
#49 Benedictine (Fr), $49
#51 Drambuie (Scotland), $35
#84 Chartreuse Green V.E.P. (Fr), $126
#85 X Rated Fusion (Fr), $28
#108 Canton Ginger & Cognac (Fr), $29
#119 Gran Marnier Cuvee Speciale Cent (Fr), $190

Other highest recommendations:

A.B Pollentes Creme de Fraise des Bois (strawberry, Fr), $35
Aqua Perfect Raspberry (USA), $40
Bouchant Pomegranate XO (Fr), $40
Belle de Brillet Poire Williams au Cognac (Fr), $35
Bushmills Irish Cream (Ireland), $19
Chartreuse Green Les Pares (Fr), $48
Domenis Kosher Amaro (Italy), $50
Lejay-Lagoute Chocolate (Fr), $20
Mandarine Imperiale XO (Fr), $110
Marie Brizard Anisette (Fr), $24
Marie Brizard Cacao White (Fr), $18
Mathilda Cassis (Fr), $20
Mathilda Framboise (Fr), $20
Poli Miele Honey (Italy), $46
Sylk Cream by Drambuie (Scotland), $22
Vadrenne Supercassis Creme de Cassis (blackcurrant, Fr), $18

The astute, and not-so-astute among you may notice than France dominates, with a few from Scotland, Ireland and Italy. And yes, just one from the USA - even though he tasted liqueurs from all over the world.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Not to be all nationalistic, but, only one liqueur from the USA? Where is Buffalo Trace with their bourbon liqueur that I got to sample about a year ago?

Maybe it's due to the limited market for it, but I would think that market has expanded a little by now. Gawd that was good stuff!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Choices for the 99%...

Let's face it: the very real classics are traditional, lovely but you can expect to pay for "real". And you should. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at some of the more commonplace, multiple offerings companies reviewed by F. Paul...

American Fruits (US): the blackcurrent and sour cherry do reasonably well.

Bauchant (Fr): almost all are "highly recommended".

Bols (Holland): a very mixed bag, and not dependable as a group. Exceptions - Creme de Cassis, Peppermint Schnapps. Avoid the Triple Sec, Strawberry and Pomegranate.

Dekuyper (USA): poor showing in general.

Marie Brizard (Fr): easily the best multiple producer, with great recommendations almost across the board. The best selection by far, best ratings by far and best prices - by far. A no-brainer, recommended for all, including visiting monkeys.

Senor Curacao (Curacao): predictably average, which is good insofar as curacao's go.

Starbucks (USA): highly recommended for their coffee and cream liqueurs.

TMD (Aussie): mixed bag, compare to Bols.

Capn's Log: Sadly F. Paul's book is a bit dated (2007), but U-man should note that insofar as bourbon goes, Wild Turkey's American Honey was reviewed as very balanced with the citrus element nicely balancing the honey and bourbon, for 3 Stars.
bearmark
Beermeister

My favorite liqueurs

Post by bearmark »

That's an interesting list and there are some definite jewels there. I did a bit of exploring of liqueurs last year and here are some highlights from my discoveries:
  • St. Germain Elderflower - I haven't found a single person who hasn't fallen in love with this liqueur. It mixes well with lots of things and adds a unique floral element that keeps things interesting. My next cocktail is one that I learned about at a local restaurant in Breckenridge, CO called, Relish. I don't know what it's called, but it's a mixture of 1.5 oz gin (they suggest Leopold's or a gin with a floral characteristic) and 0.75 oz St. Germain over ice in a tumbler, then fill the glass with a floral IPA (like Bell's Two-Hearted Ale... they used Elevation IPA) and stir in a basil leaf.
  • Green Chartreuse - a bitter, botanical liqueur that's not too sweet and very high ABV. It mixes really well with gin... I call it an Emerald Martini.
  • Merlet Creme de Peche - Merlet (another French distiller) makes a number of superb fruit liqueurs, but this is their best. It has a very fresh peach flavor without being overly sweet. Their Creme de Cassis (black currant) is also excellent.
  • Bauchant Orange Liqueur - bitter and sweet oranges blended with cognac... similar to Gran Marnier, but not as sweet and easier on the cognac.
  • Cointreau - a superb mixture of bitter and sweet oranges and the best triplesec out there... try a Margarita with 2 oz of good tequila (I use El Tesoro Anejo), 0.75 oz of Cointreau and a fresh squeezed medium lime. If you need sweetener, then use agave nectar.
  • Domaines de Canton Ginger - hot spicy and sweet ginger... try it with rye whiskey in the style of a Rusty Nail, instead of Scotch and Drambuie... I call it a Rusty Bolt.
  • Compass Box Orangerie - an infusion of cassia, orange zest and clove with Scotch.
  • Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur - a hot, bitter cherry liqueur that really surprises you with a burst of flavor.
  • Breckenridge Bitters - not the kind of bitters that you add a dash of to cocktails, but rather a liqueur made from an infusion of herbs and roots with vodka... very aromatic and flavorful. It's a nice sipper as well as a good combination with rye or bourbon for an easy Sazerac.
Here are some others that I'm planning on trying:
  • broVo Douglas Fir Liqueur
  • Dancing Pines Chai Liqueur - I just bought a bottle of this last week and can't wait to try it.
  • Spirit of St. Louis Vermont Night Liqueur
  • Kai Lemongrass Ginger Shochu - not really a liqueur, but a flavored shochu.
  • Mozart Dry Chocolate Spirit - again, not a liqueur, but it's flavored like one... it's actually a distilled spirit from chocolate.
  • Galliano L'Autentico Liqueur
  • Hum Hibiscus Liqueur
  • Sorel Liqueur - made with hibiscus, clove, cassia, ginger and other spices.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)