Comparison: MGXO Bottling, Old v. New

Barbados: the defacto home of the original reference classic rum as we know it. God bless the Queen! And Mount Gay!
19Jamie76
Cabin Boy

Post by 19Jamie76 »

Capn,

Are you saying this particular design came out around 2009?:

http://www.mountgayrum.com/#/products/extra-old-detail

I have an older looking bottling which I was buying in 2009/2010. It is shown here in one of Ralfy's reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juDutlFhNDo

The bottle I picked up yesterday with the design shown in Ralfy's review is date stamped 2013.

I'm assuming that all this talk about changes in the Extra Old means you tasted distinct changes in bottles (like the bottle shown in Ralfy's review) from 2008/2009 vs. new bottles of this same design (i.e., 2013 bottlings)?

I wonder if these 2013 bottlings contain the same blends as what are currently found in the XO bottles (as shown in first link).
mamajuana
Admiral

Post by mamajuana »

Here is a link to the bottling capn is talking about as well as two others in the mt gay line and pricing in 2008.

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/08/15/n ... -gay-rums/

the bottle you have came out in 2009 roughly then the newest about Aug 2014 (your mt gay website link).
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I
I'm assuming that all this talk about changes in the Extra Old means you tasted distinct changes in bottles (like the bottle shown in Ralfy's review) from 2008/2009 vs. new bottles of this same design (i.e., 2013 bottlings)?

No. The bottle shown is Ralfy's review is the new, despicable version of the marketing misfits. I am referring to the old, rounded traditional bottle with the old classic labels of the design that has been with us for well over 100 years, as linked above by Mama (thank you M). JaRiMi was the first to publish the changes he noted, whereupon Sue Sea and I tested the difference between our 2009 (old style bottle) and the "new" bottling and confirmed his observations. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing the date on the newer one, sorry. But there is no doubt whatever that the blend was changed.

Personally, I'd tie the changes to the MASSIVE subsidies which really kicked off in 2013, but it is entirely possible the diminuation began well before that. JaRiMi may have a better handle on this one...

Mind you MGXO is still a relatively pure, and very well made rum - but if you want the real Mount Gay magic, you'll have to spring for the 1703, which was and remains simply magical.
19Jamie76
Cabin Boy

Post by 19Jamie76 »

Got it...I've one of the older round bottles still but have been hesitant to break it open. I wonder if there are any more out in the wild.

So with that being said, does anyone know if there are changes between the "new old" bottle and the "new" XO blend that came out as the most recent incarnation?
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I've long enjoyed MGXO in the packaging that ended last year, but I haven't had any from the new packaging. A friend shared some 2006 vintage with me last week and I have to say that this was much improved over what I've had in the past few years (as the Cap'n has been telling me)... richer, while maintaining the same flavor profile.

The experience wasn't complete though... he next introduced me to MG1703 and a special 2003 release called Tricentennial (pictured below). These two were progressively better, with the Tricentennial offering a bit of sweet tobacco and dark stewed fruit... simply fantastic! Based on the recommendation of the Cap'n, I've been meaning to try MG1703 for a while, but never got around to buying a bottle. I'll have to correct that error soon. :wink: As for the Tricentennial, I hear that it demands a $3000 premium on the secondary market these days, reminding me just how generous this friend is. :o
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
anax44
Greaser

Post by anax44 »

I remember the first time I tasted the Mount Gay Extra Old. It was a bottle from 2002 and it was flawless to the point of being boring.

Smooth caramel with hints of tobacco, leather and ripe bananas and no alcohol burn.

I don't really mind the Mount Gay XO being a bit younger because I like the caramelized citrus notes and the more pronounced alcohol burn that it has.

I'm not really a fan of any of Mount Gay's rums although since I actually Visited the Mount Gay Distillery and tasted everything that they had on offer, I gained an appreciation for what they do.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Anax. this is a very intriguing post...

Personal taste is a funny thing. Although the "old" MGXO is much revered, and about as close to a good whiskey as is possible, I understand your viewpoint, though I don't personally agree.

Thanks for the contribution, a comment worth consideration...
klausfelix
Landlubber

Re: Comparison: MGXO Bottling, Old v. New

Post by klausfelix »

That this all occured in conjunction with the beginning of the USVI subsidized attack on Caribbean rum is no surprise.
And now the comparison of the old vs new bottling of MGXO shows more cheapening of the product.

It was JaRiMi who has more than once noted that what is happening with most blended spirits is that once fine and well aged products like MGXO long a respected blend of 10 to 17 year old rums, now has more of the younger and less of the older in the blend.
The good stuff is now reserved for the super-premium 1703 for the 1 percenters and their wannabees.
Capn Jimbo

Re: Comparison: MGXO Bottling, Old v. New

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Right you are and as sad as it is to say, we can probably expect a similar diminution of the 1703.